Superseded military specifications (MIL specs)

• Thread starter christopoher doherty
  • Start date
C

christopoher doherty

During an internal audit I came across C of C's for outdated mil specs, Example: print calls out mil c 5541 which has been s/s by mil dtl 5541F
The question is: If a print calls out an outdated mil spec, how should I deal with it?
What if the customer won't rev up print?
Will the source inspector accept the present spec even if its not whats on the print?
Or should I cofc it to the old spec as that is whats on the print?
Any assistance on this would be very helpful, my "top management" is very reluctant to ask customer to update print.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Superceded mil specs

During an internal audit I came across C of C's for outdated mil specs, Example: print calls out mil c 5541 which has been s/s by mil dtl 5541F
The question is: If a print calls out an outdated mil spec, how should I deal with it?
Will the source inspector accept the present spec even if its not whats on the print?
Any assistance on this would be very helpful, my "top management" is very reluctant to ask customer to update print.

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

A few questions:

Why was this not discovered and taken care of during the initial contract review? Why is management reluctant to ask a customer for an updated print? Working with an outdated print could cause serious problems.

More responses from my Fellow Covers will come, I am sure. ;)

Stijloor.

C

christopoher doherty

I am new to the company and have just gotten us iso certified, these are inherited issues.

S

silentrunning

This is an ongoing problem with us because we are a job shop serving a large cross section of companies. The worst culprits are primes and 1st tier suppliers. A few of the prints I work to go back to the 1970's. I have to get with the platers at the point of quotation and be sure they will still certify to what is on the print. Most of the time it is an obsolete spec on the older prints. I cover this by documenting the customer print, revision level and the purchase order calling for this revision level. I have been questioned by the auditor, but when I explained the situation and showed my documentation, he was fine with it.
It almost seems funny that when you go to some of the prime's sites and check out their approved vendor list that many of the specs that these vendors are approved to are obsolete. :confused:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: Superseded military (MIL) specs

Be careful because some aerospace military programs do require STRICT compliance with spec revision levels. Safe approach: contact the customer and get their approval IN WRITING about changing spec revisions. Most would be reluctant to do it anyways, because that could "open the door" for contract price re-negotiation.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

This is real common in AS9100. If there is any question, consult your customer and document which rev they want you to use. An older spec is valid to be used, even multiple spec revisions, if that is what the customer wants you to use.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

Hi christopoher and welcome to the Cove!!!

I see in your profile that you work for a small machine shop. I am sure the "top management" doesn't want to go back to the customer because they believe this will give the impression of incompetence. I feel your pain.

Some of the previous suggestions are great - but may not be feasable. Is it possible that you can create a "specification" chain to keep on file in case you are questioned?

C

christopoher doherty

I'm not sure what you mean by "specification chain"

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

Create a document showing which specification are superseded, and obtain the cancelation notices of the mil specs.

Top Bottom