The 'Thanks' button and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems

If possible, should "thanks" contribute to Karma?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
A decision was made by the moderators to de-couple the 'Thanks' mod from the built in Karma (Reputation) system. Before, giving someone 'Thanks' in a post added 5 'points' to Karma.

We are still discussing how we're using both systems, but the point is they are technically 2 different systems. The 'Thanks' button is a 'mod' (a 'hack someone wrote for vBulletin) while the 'Karma' system is a part of vBulletin.

Part of the discussion is that they are different systems, each with its own 'counter', so they should stay separate.

I'm posting this as public notice of the change, AND for discussion of the two systems and the change by regular visitors.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Scorekeeping doesn't contribute much to the overall mission, which is "People helping People," so if both the "Thanks" and "Karma" things were disattached from cumulative numbers (or disappeared altogether) it wouldn't make much difference to my level of participation, or the relative quality of it.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Scorekeeping doesn't contribute much to the overall mission, which is "People helping People," so if both the "Thanks" and "Karma" things were disattached from cumulative numbers (or disappeared altogether) it wouldn't make much difference to my level of participation, or the relative quality of it.

And from a man who has rightfully accrued his well-deserved portion of both, that perspective is much appreciated, Jim.:yes:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
'Thanks' button system and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems Disconnected

A number of people are still emailing me about not seeing Thanked Posts adding to their 'Karma' (aka Reputation) in their UserCP. This is typical:
email or PM said:
Hi Marc,

I have a Karma related question that is not addressed in the various threads. My Karma seems to have frozen at 41 in my user CP, with last karma received on the 19th Feb, but according to my profile I have been thanked several times since then. In addition I have thanked others, given karma and referred someone. Is my karma frozen for any particular reason (something I have done wrong that I am unaware of?), or is it just a periodic update? I am keen to build a reputation within the Cove and want to make sure that I understand the mechanics of the system.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer me,

Regards,

Just to remind everyone - The 'Built In' system is the Karma system. The 'Thanks Button' is an add-on 'mod' for vBulletin.

When I do the major vBulletin update, I may eliminate the 'Thanks' mod. What I am considering is making the 'Thanks' button a link to the Karma button.

I'm willing to discuss this, but right now its sorta confusing. The whole idea of the 'Thanks' button was a visible, quick way to thank someone for their post with the post its self showing the people who thanked a person for the post, as well as the total Thanks received and the total Thanks given. The way the Karma system works, only the visitor can only see who gave them 'Karma' in their UserCP (User Control Panel).

As explained above, the 'Thanks' systems *was* linked to the Karma system so when someone gave Thanks, Karma points were added (the number of Karma points added for a 'Thanks' is a number that can be set in the 'mod's' settings).

Note that prior to disconnecting the two, one 'Thanks' added 10 points to a person's Kama.

Discussion?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: 'Thanks' button system and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems Disconnected

Marc,

I liked the way it was before the change.

J

Jimmy the Brit

Re: 'Thanks' button system and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems Disconnected

Marc,

I liked the way it was before the change.

Me too - people often give thanks for a reply, but rarely give Karma - makes it impossible for new Covers to gain any sort of credibility.

Jim

D

D.Scott

The flip side to that is credibility doesn't mean much when Karma is so easy to get.

Take a look through some of our threads and notice how the "Thanks" button is being used. You will even find thanks given to the original post in a thread. One of my favorites is thanks given to a reply like "Sorry I can't answer your question but I really like your problem". Many people around the world would consider it impolite not to thank someone for replying to a post. I see many threads where every post is thanked with no regard to the usefulness of the answer. This is by no means a measure of credibility. There is no magic number to reach before you are recognized as "giving the right answer".

I am one of those who argue against the Thanks = Karma system. I believe the credibility and reputation of members and contributors should be earned through recognition by forum management. Things like longevity, helpfulness, content of posts and promotion of The Cove should be the drivers of management recognition. Reputation and credibility should be judged by what you contribute. People will read your posts and realize you are to be respected for your contributions. There should be no need here to wear a star saying "Hey, look at me". I don't care if it is your first post or your 5 thousandth. The content of your post will determine your credibility in my eyes.

Dave

J

Jimmy the Brit

Take a look through some of our threads and notice how the "Thanks" button is being used. You will even find thanks given to the original post in a thread. One of my favorites is thanks given to a reply like "Sorry I can't answer your question but I really like your problem". Many people around the world would consider it impolite not to thank someone for replying to a post. I see many threads where every post is thanked with no regard to the usefulness of the answer. This is by no means a measure of credibility. There is no magic number to reach before you are recognized as "giving the right answer".

I guess this is just like so many of the quality problems we face from day-to-day: if people don't use the tool properly, do we blame the tool, do we try to educate the people, or do we try to make the tool foolproof. The trouble with fool-proofing it that it drives fools to become even more ingenious! What is to stop people from giving Karma for the use of a pretty font or a "don't know" reply........

Things like longevity, helpfulness, content of posts and promotion of The Cove should be the drivers of management recognition. Reputation and credibility should be judged by what you contribute. People will read your posts and realize you are to be respected for your contributions.

I have used karma as an indicator of the level of "trust" I can put on a reply that is outside of my expertise, as I would find it presumptuous to judge the content or accuracy of a response outside of my subject area. After all, that is why I joined the Cove - to learn, and, where I can, to give something back.

Hopefully over time I will be able to better judge those whose credentials are based on deep domain expertise, or those who have been thanked for asking a question. Until then I will have to rely on karma and keep my fingers crossed.

Jim

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

The content of your post will determine your credibility in my eyes.

That's all that really matters. :agree1: The Karma and Thanks counters shouldn't be relied upon as indicators of the overall quality of anyone's contributions.

Top Bottom