Keeping Control of Controlled Documents

H

holly21

Our company has a series of controlled documents that right now, only one person can print. They are viewable on a PC as *.pdf documents. Some people (including me!) want to have the ability to print and use these documents with people in production, who do not have access to PCs, but need the documents to do their work correctly. (I know... why have a controlled document that the appropriate people cannot view?? :nope: )

The executive branch of my company does not want to have copies of these documents on the manufacturing floor because they want to know how we can control keeping the most current versions in place. If hard copies exist, anyone can make copies of them so we wouldn't always know how many people had copies of the documents. We do not have a dedicated document control person for this sort of task.

We've discussed various ideas, like having PCs on the operations floor (a kiosk type station), but people would not leave the machines they are operating to go use a PC. Many of them cannot use PCs and many of them cannot read english.

We've also discussed that hard copies had to be printed in color, and if anyone was caught using a black and white document, we know it has been photocopied... however, that still doesn't prevent an untold number of copies floating around and the possibility that someone will be using an out-of-date document.

We used to have a person who's sole responsibility was keeping binders on the floor up to date, however that was scrapped (before I worked here) because having them viewable-only on a PC was considered to be the only way that everyone would be using current versions of the document.

Some managers keep single binders in offices for training purposes, but if someone cannot remember a complex process, they have no way to reference that document again without leaving a machine unattended. No one wants to reflect less productivity than others, even if it means doing the process incorrectly.

How do other companies manage this? Any ideas would be appreciated and I thank whomever has read this entire thing and takes the time to reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Our company has a series of controlled documents that right now, only one person can print. They are viewable on a PC as *.pdf documents. Some people (including me!) want to have the ability to print and use these documents with people in production, who do not have access to PCs, but need the documents to do their work correctly. (I know... why have a controlled document that the appropriate people cannot view?? :nope: )

The executive branch of my company does not want to have copies of these documents on the manufacturing floor because they want to know how we can control keeping the most current versions in place. If hard copies exist, anyone can make copies of them so we wouldn't always know how many people had copies of the documents. We do not have a dedicated document control person for this sort of task.

We've discussed various ideas, like having PCs on the operations floor (a kiosk type station), but people would not leave the machines they are operating to go use a PC. Many of them cannot use PCs and many of them cannot read english.

We've also discussed that hard copies had to be printed in color, and if anyone was caught using a black and white document, we know it has been photocopied... however, that still doesn't prevent an untold number of copies floating around and the possibility that someone will be using an out-of-date document.

We used to have a person who's sole responsibility was keeping binders on the floor up to date, however that was scrapped (before I worked here) because having them viewable-only on a PC was considered to be the only way that everyone would be using current versions of the document.

Some managers keep single binders in offices for training purposes, but if someone cannot remember a complex process, they have no way to reference that document again without leaving a machine unattended. No one wants to reflect less productivity than others, even if it means doing the process incorrectly.

How do other companies manage this? Any ideas would be appreciated and I thank whomever has read this entire thing and takes the time to reply.

Holly21,

I have seen companies that have in their footer that "printed copies are not valid/not kept up to date or even only valid for 24 hours." I have also seen allowing anyone to view them. As for the personnel that may or may not be able to read english, there was a translated version availabe for viewing.

If Managers are choosing to maintain copies then they will need to be controlled by someone, to ensure that the current document is available.

The color version you speak of may work, but would not eliminate the use of obsolete documents.

My recommendation is:

Maintain the current documents on-line only, even though it may cost extra $$ to have them translated. That should eliminate the possibility of obsolete documents being on the floor.

Last edited:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Here is our standard document footer for procedures and work instructions:
This document was current on the date of printing but may have been revised or discontinued on a later date. Consult the QMS Library on the Intranet to determine if this revision is current.

The policy is that there are no controlled hard copies. Controlled documents are viewable on the Intranet in pdf form only. People without computers may access documents on a departmental computer or through their supervisors.

However - anyone may print a copy of the pdf for use in training and such, but that person is responsible for discarding the hard copy when finished.

Everyone in the company is trained in this policy and it is enforced through paperwork auditing during QC in-process checks and through the internal audit program.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
As I see it, there are several issues at play here. Here are just two:
  1. allowing only one individual to perform a process required by many creates an artificial choke point which is inefficient on its face and easily could engender employees using "workarounds" to avoid the stoppage, creating more opportunities for using an obsolete document.
  2. "Workarounds" like daily expiration dates on documents are merely band-aids and do not work toward resolving the issue of following many QMS and regulatory requirements which state workers "have ready access to documents controlling the process being deployed." It is better, in my opinion, to make an effort toward realigning the document control system to make document access the major focus, rather than focusing on some misbegotten idea of the secrecy and sanctity of necessary documents for production and the need for keeping them locked away from prying eyes. (note there is a difference between "controlled" documents and documents classified "top secret.")

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
In a nutshell, we state in our procedure for doc/data control that original master documents are printed on a certain color of paper, and any copy not of the specified color constitutes an uncontrolled copy. Our doc control person is responsible for updating the masters as changes are approved and implemented. Copies of forms that must be used on the production floor are made on white paper, which is acceptable per our procedures.

Hope this helps.

Gidget

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Following Wes' lead, the whole idea of document control is to provide CURRENT documents to all that need to have access. (i really liked the "top secret" document:lmao: )

Not only are you not providing the documentation where the work is being performed, you obviously have workers that need the documentation in a different language. There is nothing wrong with hard copies if that is what you need. But, as you have stated, that can cause problems with obsolete documents floating around. You and your company need to figure out what works best for you.

Hard copies in a binder at the work stations and a dedicated document control person for each or all of those binders? You do understand that you needn't have each and every document at every station? Provide information in the languages that are needed.

It sounds like computer literacy isn't up to providing computers at each station, but can you train people? Do you even want to, or is it even economically feasible? Provide languages that are needed. Also, printing is desirable, as far as I am concerned just because not all jobs can be performed in front of a computer, especially in a kiosk situation. Training goes a long way in checking revision dates to ensure that documents are current, but, you also have to have a very good system in place for notification of revised documents in this case. It is not fair to expect every person to check every document every shift if you are not willing to go the extra mile in revision notification.

One comment about the kiosk thing and people refusing to go to it because it might make their production numbers worse. There is definitely a problem here with management commitment if your employees are more afraid of missing quotas than they are of producing nonconforming product. Right now, your system sounds as though it is hog tied. You stand little chance of having people follow the documented practices if management does not allow, encourage, and reward employees for doing the right thing, versus just getting product out the door.

H

holly21

I agree that this is a management issue. One area of manufacturing has a sign posted that says, "Even in the dictionary, Quality comes before Quantity." The people working directly below this sign have quotas.

I'm making progress here (I'm the only quality professional here), slowly but surely. I maintain our non-conformance process, and almost every return is due to operator error. Allowing access to our controlled documents by the people doing the work is a major hot button for me.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
One area of manufacturing has a sign posted that says, "Even in the dictionary, Quality comes before Quantity." The people working directly below this sign have quotas.

Whew - this made me laugh.:lmao: Talk about lip service.

Good luck, Holly - keep us posted!

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
I agree that this is a management issue. One area of manufacturing has a sign posted that says, "Even in the dictionary, Quality comes before Quantity." The people working directly below this sign have quotas..

too funny, too sad. :whip:

...almost every return is due to operator error. Allowing access to our controlled documents by the people doing the work is a major hot button for me.

As well it should be, holly. Those returns are not due to operator error. They are due to management's lack of commitment to providing proper instruction, training, and support for quality functions. :2cents: It will put you in an uncomfortable position for a while, but you are the only one who can start this ball rolling. You need to (in a positive manner) get management to see that they need to provide the proper resources in order to allow personnel to perform their jobs properly. Point out the $$$$ involved in paying for poor quality. Most managers understand $$$ a lot quicker than the abstract concepts.

Good luck

C

Cordon - 2007

almost every return is due to operator error.

I read this awhile back here at the Cove.

There are only 5 reasons for non-conforming product:
1-incompentence of the worker
2-incompentence of the training curriculum
3-incompentence of the trainer
4-flawed work process
5-willful disobedience (sabotage)

Top Bottom