Should Quality folks be just policemen & policewomen?

J

jeffrey_Chang

Should quality folks play a more proactive role than just be contented as policeman or policewomen?
In general, the impression I've from other departments about quality folks is one that quality only knows about complaining an issue, about rejecting a lot, about issuing CARs etc. They don't seems to be proactive in not only sharing a problem but also in providing a solution or at least be more interested in collaborating with other departments in finding a solution. Some departments also feel that they are not technically inclined and hence they are only good in complaining. Some departments might feel that they are not value adding to the company.:nope:
What's your notion on this?
thks.:thanks:
jeffrey.

Re: Should Quality folks be just policeman & policewomen?

Should quality folks play a more proactive role than just be contented as policeman or policewomen?
Just one word: A big resounding Yes.

What's your notion on this?
You are bang on target: There is no reason for us to play :energy: None, whatsoever. The way I see it we should support our organizations, and help them improve, thereby making life easier for our organizations, our customers and ourselves.

/Claes

G

Gert Sorensen

My first thought would have to be, that this kind of complaints says more about the person complaining than the person being complained about. A rude assumption would be that a lot of people tend to think that it is QA's task to clean up everybody elses mess. The thinking being: "I can f... .. as bad as I like but I don't need to take responsibility, cause QA is supposed to make sure that I am not gonna learn from this or improve my thinking!"

Look at the words: "Quality Assurance" and "Quality Control". None of them says anything about "technical". It is nice, and sometimes beneficial to have employees with a technical background in a Q-function, but it is also nice to have employees who are able to ask those "stupid" questions, or for that matter, complain.

Departments, complaining about "added value" in those cases, IMHO, tend to be departments with quality issues on a larger scale. Quality is a question about management. Bad managers forget - or simply don't understand - the basics of quality. They are "shortsighted" and narrowminded, and they loose money and employees at a - generally - alarming rate.

Thats my :2cents: , for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions

When it entirely becomes a police action, it is time to move on down the road.

D

ddunn

Quality professional should be teachers not police. We should be teaching the use of tools and processes that result in a company culture where pride in workmanship is a way of life and quality products are the norm. The utopic goal of Quality Management should be the elimination of our reason for existence.

Just my :2cents:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource

While there is certainly a police officer component in the the quality universe, limiting it to that role alone removes any potential value outside of that role.

The operations folks may/may not be correct in the technical abilities of the quality folks, as that depends on many factors.....but then that also provide the opportunity for instruction both ways.....

Just a thought or two.....

Hershal

R

ralphsulser

I liked the moniker "Coaches" to describe our functions. This includes teaching also. Help them and teach them to help themselves. However I don't think this will be reality in the industries during my lifetime. There are still too many senior managers that think QMS is just a quality "thing" and they don't need to be involved unless the qc "cops" give them a nonconformance.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

We (administrative staff) had a meeting with one of our corporate VP's yesterday. I've known this guy for years, as we used to work together in sister plants in another state. Probably because of that, I was chosen to be first in the little meet and greet at the beginning of the meeting. After I introduced myself and stated that I was the quality systems person, he stated "oh, so you are in charge of making sure our product quality is good." I looked at him and said, "well, that too, but I'm here to make sure that there is quality in everything we do, not just product quality."

No, quality folks shouldn't and don't need to be "just policemen and women".

F

fuzzy

... I looked at him and said, "well, that too, but I'm here to make sure that there is quality in everything we do, not just product quality."

No, quality folks shouldn't and don't need to be "just policemen and women".

:applause: :applause: Tell us how you really feel...:agree1:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

Quality folks esp those doing Internal audits should be behave as policemen or policewomen. If that approach is employed, there will be a tendency of concealing facts and is not good for the organisation.

"Trust" is the most important word which has to be practised in the organisation. A team approach without pointing fingers to any individuals but done with the sole purpose of Continuous Improvements / enhancing the Quality System is much desirable.

Top Bottom