Is Revision and Version the same in the Quality Manual?

S

Sennayagi

Hi
One consultant advised to put revision in the document , other suggested to put version instead of revision. which is correct ? Is revision and version is same in the quality manual

Thanks in advance
SEN

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyN

Moved On
Hi
One consultant advised to put revision in the document , other suggested to put version instead of revision. which is correct ? Is revision and version is same in the quality manual

Thanks in advance
SEN

Yes, they are, as applicable to document controls. Maybe the consultants don't have a good grasp of the English language? If this isn't a language issue, then they are both talking rubbish.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi

Thanks in advance
SEN

Sennayagi,

You have two consultants! Or, are you asking your auditor for advice?

Man with one watch knows the time. A man with two watches is never sure!

...and you know the one about opinions.

John

x-files

Involved In Discussions
In my opinion, there is a significant difference between VERSION and REVISION.

* In QMS, I have to use only one REVISION of procedure, which is last, up-to-date, accurate, approved. Usage of previous revisions obviously is not allowed any more.

* In software (for example), I can use any VERSION of software (Word 98, Word 2003, Word 2007 or Word 2010). Usage of previous versions obviously is allowed, as long as it meets target format.

When I see text on QMS procedures - "Version 3.0", then I assume that there are also Version 1.0, Version 2.0 and many subversions - which are also valid, and I can choose which to use.

Funny thing is why and from where almost all QMS systems adopted notation "X.Y". Maybe from software versioning?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Afterall we have found this way of numeration:
REVISION=EDITION.NUMBER_OF_CHANGE

EDITION = We increment edition only when we integrate new management system. If we have 6 management systems, edition will be 6, to express generational compliance of documentation.
NUMBER_OF_CHANGE = sequenced number of change, for example change number 21.
REVISION = 6.21

This is what PAS 99 says about revisions and versions in cotext of document control:
4.4.3.3 The organization shall establish, implement and maintain (a) documented procedure(s) to define the controls needed to:
a) approve documents for adequacy prior to issue;
b) review and update and re-approve documents as necessary;
c) ensure that changes and current revision status of documents are identified;
d) ensure that relevant versions of applicable documents are available at points of use;
e) ensure that documents remain legible and readily identifiable;
f) ensure that documents of external origin are identified and their distribution controlled;
g) prevent the unintended use of obsolete documents, and to apply suitable identification to them if they are retained for any purpose.

EDIT: I've forgotten to mention that in our QMS, we reserved the word "Version" for specific thing. Manual and few relevant procedures we publish in different languages. Then we say "Serbian version", "English version", "Chinese version"...

Best regards,
Vladimir Stefanović

Last edited:
S

Sennayagi

John,

As of now i have one consultant , before that one consultant was there. presently new consultant is guided us. that's why confusion.

thanks
SEN

S

Sennayagi

Hi
Vladimir Stefanović many thanks

i got idea from your information

AndyN

Moved On
In my opinion, there is a significant difference between VERSION and REVISION.

* In QMS, I have to use only one REVISION of procedure, which is last, up-to-date, accurate, approved. Usage of previous revisions obviously is not allowed any more.

* In software (for example), I can use any VERSION of software (Word 98, Word 2003, Word 2007 or Word 2010). Usage of previous versions obviously is allowed, as long as it meets target format.

When I see text on QMS procedures - "Version 3.0", then I assume that there are also Version 1.0, Version 2.0 and many subversions - which are also valid, and I can choose which to use.

Funny thing is why and from where almost all QMS systems adopted notation "X.Y". Maybe from software versioning?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Afterall we have found this way of numeration:
REVISION=EDITION.NUMBER_OF_CHANGE

EDITION = We increment edition only when we integrate new management system. If we have 6 management systems, edition will be 6, to express generational compliance of documentation.
NUMBER_OF_CHANGE = sequenced number of change, for example change number 21.
REVISION = 6.21

This is what PAS 99 says about revisions and versions in cotext of document control:

EDIT: I've forgotten to mention that in our QMS, we reserved the word "Version" for specific thing. Manual and few relevant procedures we publish in different languages. Then we say "Serbian version", "English version", "Chinese version"...

Best regards,
Vladimir Stefanović

Although technically correct, the fact still remains that, for the vast majority of QMS documents, the words mean the same thing. The analogy with software isn't a good one since the software is a product which, through configuration management, may need to have various alternates. To suggest that a simple procedure needs the same types of differentiation is a degree of complexity which is NOT appropriate to a QMS - IMHO.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Yes, they are, as applicable to document controls. Maybe the consultants don't have a good grasp of the English language? If this isn't a language issue, then they are both talking rubbish.

I agree with Andy. In some specialized areas such as software, there might be a distinction, but when it comes to general QMS documents the two terms are interchangeable.

Top Bottom