Is it mandatory to update all controlled documents if a company gone through a merger

L

Lee Hui Yee

Recently there has been quite a number of company undergo merger. Just curious to find out, if the company go through a merger, is it an immediate need to update all controlled documents to reflect the change ? i.e. company logo, company name etc even though the process remain the same?

samer

Involved - Posts
Lee Hui Yee said:
Recently there has been quite a number of company undergo merger. Just curious to find out, if the company go through a merger, is it an immediate need to update all controlled documents to reflect the change ? i.e. company logo, company name etc even though the process remain the same?

well , this is according to the company needs, but sure you should do , specially if you have new resultant company,how would you have a name of a company which is not exist any more!!!

you could do that gradually within a specified plan , not all dcuments at once, this would be better .

Samer

Welcome to the Cove, Lee :bigwave:
Lee Hui Yee said:
is it an immediate need to update all controlled documents to reflect the change ? i.e. company logo, company name etc even though the process remain the same?
We discussed a similar question in this old thread: Is it mandatory to change right away all the procedures header.

Anyway, my take is that if the process is unchanged there is no need to update the written procedure. It would be a waste of resources to update a document just for the sake of a header, logo or such. That can be taken care of in the course of normal updates as the content changes.

/Claes

P

pldey42

I agree with Claes and would offer these additional observations:

A merger is often a time of downsizing, while the new owners try to gain economies of scale. In such an environment I would not want to be seen spending time on a zero-value activity like changing logos on documents.

Also, I've visited companies that have survived mergers. All the old hands remember which company they used to work for and often still have strong allegiance to it, even though it may have been defunct for years. They will happily tell new hires all about the old company, so I think the risk of anyone being confused by references to the old company is minimal.

Indeed, I think there's a risk of reducing morale in the workforce by unceremoniously removing the old identity and appearing to be more concerned with that, than with rewriting processes. And rewriting processes will almost certainly become necessary, as common infrastructure in purchasing, manufacturing, HR, sales, help desk and so on is merged on the hunt for economies.

Indeed, mergers are a time of opportunity for quality departments, I think, ensuring that new processes are defined to match new organisations. I have often seen situations where the quality department have not revised the processes (often due to weak management commitment to, um, what I'd call real management) with the result that the process says, "Take the document/component/subassembly to department X for processing" and the people say, "But department X has been axed: now what do we do?"

So in my experience, mergers are an opportunity for quality to make a difficult time just a little easier, by matching new processes to the new organisation.

Hope this helps,
Patrick

samer

Involved - Posts
What effort would be wasted in changeing yr documents which is supposed to be six procedure and yr records -in a defined time interval- ?this could be opportunity to review yr system

What I know that the new owners will always welcome any changes !!!

and dont forget that it is a must to review yr Quality Manual, Policy, Vision ....since it should be forwarded to customer ,in addition to customer related procedures

this is my opinion , and as a conclusion , the document change depends on the point of view of yr new Top mangemnet ,they are the party who decide the right track for you, it is not directly a matter of complying to the standrad or not .

Samer

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
samer said:
What effort would be wasted in changeing yr documents which is supposed to be six procedure and yr records -in a defined time interval- ?this could be opportunity to review yr system

Please, I really think we need to stop perpetuating this error.

...The system is NOT "supposed" to be 6 procedures and records. You are misreading the requirement.

4.2.1.c makes the reference which translates to the 6 procedures required by the standard itself (or 7 in TS), HOWEVER, the very next sentence (4.2.1.d) adds "DOCUMENTS NEEDED BY THE ORGANIZATION..." which adds all kinds of additional documents, procedures, work instructions, etc.

The intent never was to create a system of 6 procedures. That is obviously the starting point. The intent is to create the system that you need, rather than everyone has the same.

I have yet to audit a company that only has 6 procedures. It may exist, but is unlikely to be robust.

P

pldey42

hjilling said:

...The system is NOT "supposed" to be 6 procedures and records. You are misreading the requirement.

4.2.1.c makes the reference which translates to the 6 procedures required by the standard itself (or 7 in TS), HOWEVER, the very next sentence (4.2.1.d) adds "DOCUMENTS NEEDED BY THE ORGANIZATION..." which adds all kinds of additional documents, procedures, work instructions, etc.

The intent never was to create a system of 6 procedures. That is obviously the starting point. The intent is to create the system that you need, rather than everyone has the same.

I have yet to audit a company that only has 6 procedures. It may exist, but is unlikely to be robust.

Absolutely right. Real systems have many, many, many documents.

The value of changing them is, in my view, proportional to the impact of changes on customer satisfaction, defect rates, on-time delivery, fix response time and so forth. By this measure, the value of changing them just for logos and company name is almost zero (with, as hjilling points out, the possible exception of documents the customer might see, although even these might be better handled with a cover note).

Patrick

samer said:
this could be opportunity to review yr system
Yes, indeed. No argument there, and I agree with your point about documents sent to the customer.

hjilling said:
Absolutley. Good point.

pldey42 said:
The value of changing them is, in my view, proportional to the impact of changes on customer satisfaction, defect rates, on-time delivery, fix response time and so forth. By this measure, the value of changing them just for logos and company name is almost zero
Hey... Well said :agree1:

pldey42 said:
with, as hjilling points out, the possible exception of documents the customer might see
Agreed, but I think that was samer.

Good discussion :applause:

/Claes

samer

Involved - Posts
hjilling said:

My freind , this is a figurative expression used by me ,I,m not giving here an awarness course for people who dont know what ISO is , you should be aware of that ,I can read the standard very well ........................

it doesnt mean that if I didnt talk in yr own words , that I cant read the standard ,look to the purpose of the thread please........with my respect

Samer

Last edited:

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Is it mandatory to update all controlled documents if a company gone through a me

Hello Hui Yee

To answer this question, you need to know a bit about company laws in Malaysia.

All legal entities need registration with the registrar of companies. A certificate will be issued upon approval. Subsequent changes in name, ownership, share holding structure etc need to be lodged with the registrar. Even if there are several changes of name and ownership over time, its history can still be traced.

If the entity is listed, there are even more procedures such as shareholders approval. Thus a merger exercise is not a child play. It takes time – generally 3-6 months for privately owned business and as much as a year or more for listed companies. Only after the necessary procedures and paperwork are lodged will the registrar issue a new certificate with any change of company name.

Meanwhile you have all the time to ponder over necessary actions. What the standard required had been clearly replied by other fellow covers.

Top Bottom