Pronunciation of SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies)

J

JoKing

Does anyone know the pronunciation of SMED. I can find lots of definitions, but is it SMED (as in Fred) or S-M-E-D?

D

Dean Frederickson

Re: Pronunciation of SMED

My best guess would be S.M.E.D. (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) and yes if everybody I worked with knew the acronym I would pronounce it like Fred.:2cents:

J

JoKing

My best guess would be S.M.E.D. (Single Minute Exchange of Dies) and yes if everybody I worked with knew the acronym I would pronounce it like Fred.:2cents:

Since I have to teach this, I was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

I am not sure if you will find "definitive"...it kind of sounds like there is no convention...I've only heard S.M.E.D. and usually I hear Single Minute Exchange of Dies, and not the acronym or abbreviated acronym speak. But, I think it will depend on industry, and company within the industry.

D

domingue

The Continuous Improvement group at our company subscribes to the "like Fred" pronunciation.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

I used this term during an audit Tuesday, and I and the auditee both said it like Fred.

B

bevanhu

I think the pronunciation of SMED didn't important, the key is SMED's thinking. if we want to apply a tool better and implement it in a organization, firstly we should be implement its thinking. right.

Top Bottom