ISO 14001 Emergency Preparedness & Response Plan Requirement

J

June Ang - 2005

Emergency Preparedness & Response Plan

Help!!! I'm currently preparing the Env Emergnecy Preparedneee & Response Plan for my company. I could only come out with a very general procedure. I'm not satisfied with this procedure as it doesn't stating the real action that we are going prevent and response to the emergency situations.

Anyway, can i have your comments on this?
My OP is as below:

1. The Project Manager is overall responsible to response and mitigates the environmental incident or emergency situations that occurred as the consequences of the project’s activities.

2. Potential environmental incidents and emergencies likely to occur at the Shimizu worksite shall be identified by the Emergency Planning Committee.

3. Refer to OHSMS/OP11/EPR – Emergency Preparedness and Response for the incidents and emergencies likely to occur in a construction site.

4. The methods to respond to, mitigate and prevent environmental emergencies shall be established and maintained by the Emergency Planning Committee. The decisions of the Emergency Planning Committee shall be translated into actions by the respective Emergency Action Committee.

5. Roles and responsibilities for communications within the organization and for obtaining outside support services shall be established and maintained via the emergency plans.

6. The environmental emergency methods and communications shall be tested at least annually. The ECO shall maintain the records of these tests. Methods to respond to, mitigate and prevent environmental emergencies shall be amended as required based on the results of these tests.

7. Following an environmental emergency, the cause of the emergency and corresponding emergency methods shall be reviewed. Corrective and preventive actions will be identified and undertaken by implementing the EOP 14 – Corrective and Preventive Action. Methods to respond to, mitigate and prevent release that arise as a consequence of an environmental emergency shall be amended as required.

---end---

I'm now trying list out the potential emergency cases and plan for the response action. Is any have example can be shared?

Any help is very much appreciated.

B

Brandon Kerkstra

Plan outline

June,

The Michigan State Police have posted a handbook on how to create a complete Emergency Plan on the web. I have attached the pdf file below. Unless you are a very large organization it is more than you need, but a great starting point. It does have a sample plan at the end of the document.

As for the companies I work with, we typically put together the plan, add the procedure requirements and control it. So in the end it contains both the Procedure requirements (Who, What, When) and Work Instruction (How - or the actual Plan)

I hope this helps.

Brandon

Attachments

• 602pt1-2_april2000 site emergency planning.pdf
    523.9 KB · Views: 1,694

Randy

Super Moderator
1st of all go by the regulatory requirements of your government(s).

2ndly the requirements (if any) of your industry.

3rdly the requirements of organizations you voluntarily belong to.

4thly use "Common Sense". Evalute the actual and perceived potential of an event.

Always base your plan on "Worst Case Scenario". Bring in your local emergency organizations to assist you, and involve your local community if there is a possibilty of off-site encroachment or danger.

If Union Carbide had done this Bophal may not have been as bad as it was.

J

June Ang - 2005

Thanks

Thanks a milion for all your opinions. I'll try to work on the plan based on your comments. Anyway, what are the most common potential emergencies could be happended on a costruction site?

(1) spillage/ leakage of chemicals/ hazardous substances
(2) explosion
(3) soil movement/ slope failure
(4) ????

Randy

Super Moderator
It depends upon what you are constructing and what methods are being used. This is where you need to be involved with the engineers, construction manager and all that. An EMS is a TEAM EFFORT and not just an individual just writing stuff down.

Hey marc the #2 I told him was industry standards. Duh:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Already existing plans?

I would guess that many of us in the process of setting up an EMS already have emergency plans set up? I know we did.

After all, the risks must have been there before we decided to go for EMS, and those risks will in many cases have been adressed by law in our respective countries. So: Make certain that you look through what you already have before you start writing something new.

/Claes

J

June Ang - 2005

Yup, I 100% agree that an EMS is a team effort. I did try to disseminate the drafted operational procedures to them and ask for their feedback. But because of the schedule is too tight, i do not have time to go through the OP one by one with them. Finally, only one or two of them were feedback to me.

I know this is where the problems exit. I'm trying to take the "corrective action" now.

I do not know how other company start to take the first step in ISO 14001. Frankly, i'm just a new comer to this field and this company. I do not familiar with the operations of this big company (certified with iso 9001) but i quite familiar with environmental knowledge and constuction activities. I thought i was hired to help them in specific environmental related tasks like identify the aspect, impacts and propose control measures. But in fact I have to complete the whole EMS documents within 4 months from knowing nothing (or only 5%) about the company and ISO 14000 and with my own effort. And after complete the documents, i still need to think of the implementation programme.

I think they are over estimate on me. I'm only a "small" staff here. But what they want me to do is not a "small" task.

Anyway, after 3 months effort, i know how is a good EMS shall be functioned. But, will it a bit late????

No matter how, all i can do is only try my best!!!
:bonk:

Randy

Super Moderator
Remember..there is no shame in failing. The shame is never trying.

Just take one step at a time.....get others on your bandwagon....and go for it.

kalehner

Involved - Posts
I am not sure that you really need a detailed documented procedure for emergency response. I believe this is one area that is better addressed through training than specific documented procedures for emergency response. Imagine the size of a document that tries to cover every permutation of potential emergencies at a facility. I believe that it is better to have a brief emergency plan that includes things like general notification and alarm procedures and rely on training to ensure that people know how to respond to an emergency

Last edited:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Whether or not you need an emergency response plan depends upon numerous aspects of your business, processes and product.

Top Bottom