Control Plan Contents - Part Number / Latest Change Level

E

elkel

Hello
I am having a split opinion in the quality department, on the control plan it ask for part number / latest change level

Latest change level - to me it means the customer revision level and/or rev date from the drawing.

The company started adding suffix to the internal part number when making changes instead of giving it a new part number.

Now the company wants to put the suffix from the internal part number as rev.

Is it written anywhere what rev needs to go on the control plan, it seems to me if the internal suffix is used, it looses traceability to the customer rev.
Please help to restore peace within the quality team
Thank you
Elke

L

lk2012

hi Elke,
I'd lean towards the internal revision. The Control Plan is a document for your production so they should know which revision in your company they're working towards.
Also, some companies are several tiers down and may not always have all the customer information.
hope this helps
Lil

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Hello
I am having a split opinion in the quality department, on the control plan it ask for part number / latest change level

Latest change level - to me it means the customer revision level and/or rev date from the drawing.

The company started adding suffix to the internal part number when making changes instead of giving it a new part number.

Now the company wants to put the suffix from the internal part number as rev.

Is it written anywhere what rev needs to go on the control plan, it seems to me if the internal suffix is used, it looses traceability to the customer rev.
Please help to restore peace within the quality team
Thank you
Elke
I have come across instances of last syllable(or two) of the part number representing revision level. If I am not wrong Ford uses this methodology. In cases like this, of course mentioning just the Part number in the Control plan(or wherever) will suffice. If you are trying to separate the suffix and show it as revision level just for the sake of filling empty fields in Control plan, I think it is redundant and adds to confusion. If by mentioning your internal part number with suffix the linkage with Customer Part number and revision level is clear, I think you got little to worry about there.

Top Bottom