Planekator Calibration Method Details - Calibration of a Surface Plate

B

blueicecube

Can anyone please explain what is the planekator method and is it the ultimate method for calibration a surface plate?

Or is Moody's method better? - or easier?

Is this one of those DIY tool that DIY?

Thanks!

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Can anyone please explain what is the planekator method and is it the ultimate method for calibration a surface plate?

Or is Moody's method better? - or easier?

Is this one of those DIY tool that DIY?

Thanks!

Planekator is a device for checking flatness, developed by Rahn granite company. It is a calibrated granite straight edge with support blocks and indicator.

2.To the best of my knowledge James Moody has co-authored an article on "Calibration method for determining physical location of the ultra sound image plane", used in medical and robotics. Some one on the cove may throw light on Moody's method, if any, for surface plates.

3. Laser measurement system is also used to measure flatness of surface plates.

Hope this helps

Umang :D

D

dstetler

I work for a calibration company. We use a laser based system made by Optodyne, in Compton, CA. It takes MUCH less time then the planekator method (which we used to use). It also has the ability to calibrate mills and CNCs. While it may be pricey it is very convienent.

B

Boscoeee

I work for a calibration company. We use a laser based system made by Optodyne, in Compton, CA. It takes MUCH less time then the planekator method (which we used to use). It also has the ability to calibrate mills and CNCs. While it may be pricey it is very convienent.

Can you expand on how you calibrate mills and CNC? Are you aligning the table to the spindle?

Thanks,

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
From an email reply:

The laser attaches to the table and the reflective mirror attaches to the spindle.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

There is load of information about 'Laser calibration' on the net. Just google the catch words. One site of Renishaw is here for reference.

http://www.renishaw.com/en/1030.aspx

(Disclaimer:I have no connection with this company.)

Umang

B

blueicecube

How do you take the iterations error (i.e carrying the Planekator from one point to another relatively) into consideration for the measurement uncertainty calculation?

An easier question would be : what factors do you take into account when calculating the measurement uncertainty using the Planekator method ? What are the values taken into consideration and how are they converted into standard uncertainty?

Thanks!

Top Bottom