Are family type of GR&R acceptable in situations where you have a lot of instruments?

M

Mgrace

hi good day!

can anyone there help me to answer this question.

i have many calipers in the same production line, all of them are use in measuring the same characteristics of a product. do i really need to conduct gauge R&R for all of that?
for me it is no need beacause they are belong to the same gauge family but the auditor insisting to conduct to all of that.
Is there anybody that can give me advise for the right answer

thanks

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: Are family type of GR&R acceptable in situations where you have a lot of instrume

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic, which I recommend that you read.

A quick answer is that yes, it is perfectly acceptable to group gages in a family provided certain criteria are met. The basic criteria are:

• Same/very similar gages (e.g., 6-inch calipers)
  • Same/very similar characteristics (e.g., diameter within a given range)
  • Same tolerances or process variation depending on use of gage (i.e., inspection or SPC)
Another, less restrictive approach that could be used:

• State the smallest tolerance or process variation (standard deviation) that the gage family may be used to measure and still achieve an acceptable R&R result

Last edited:
S

silentrunning

Re: Are family type of GR&R acceptable in situations where you have a lot of instrume

If you are going to attempt to get by without 100% gaging on your tools I would at least do a sample lot and record the results to verify why 100% inspection isn't needed. If you can prove numerically that all tools will fall within your specified range, you might be on safe ground.
Now I'm going to go back and read all the past posts to see if I am wrong. :eek:

D

David DeLong

Family of gauges is absolutely the way to go and it is included the MSA 3rd edition.

You determine the inclusion in families unless you supply a Customer like Ford where they have determined a definition of a gauge family.

Make sure that you perform the R & R study in the finest application of the gauge family and make sure that the samples used truly reflect the process.

Good Luck!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

I summarized a lot of thread discussions and some deep reflection in my latest blog entry: Part 10: Creating Gauge Families. This should answer all of your questions.

M

Mgrace

thanks a lot miner, ok i will read that

D

dsagario

How about if I have three control plans and used three individual pyrometers and each control plan required different temperature measurement. Can I still consider the three pyrometer as one type or a single family? Can anyone please clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dsagario

MSA Per Gauge Families

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic, which I recommend that you read.

A quick answer is that yes, it is perfectly acceptable to group gages in a family provided certain criteria are met. The basic criteria are:

• Same tolerances or process variation depending on use of gage (i.e., inspection or SPC)
Another, less restrictive approach that could be used:

• State the smallest tolerance or process variation (standard deviation) that the gage family may be used to measure and still achieve an acceptable R&R result

Does Miner suggests that any one of these criterias can be used to group gages? or do I need to meet all of them? Do I also need to consider if I have different control plans but using the same type of instruments? Please help.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: MSA Per Gauge Families

You would need to meet all of the criteria for one of the two approaches.

The fact that they are on different control plans should be irrelevant. The only time control plan becomes a factor is the automotive requirement to perform an MSA on all gages on a control plan. This does not influence how you fulfill the requirement.

Top Bottom