Collecting SPC Data Electronically? CNC Lathes, CNC Mills and CNC Grinders

C

CMfgT

I work in a job shop with CNC Lathes, CNC Mills and CNC Grinders. We are looking into starting an SPC program. I would like to not have the operators manually make a control chart or graph, I would like it to be electronically made using excel or other database. What are you guys using with success? I envision an operator taking a measurement and either sending it to a excel file on their machine or sending it to a remote computer for a quality person to review. Any ideas would be great. I have looked at Mitutoyo and MicroRidge. Anyone use these? I know Mitutoyo requires their own software and it is not user friendly. The MicroRidge seems to be more flexible.

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
There are many softwares out there that can provide you with such capability.
But if you are particular with the cost you can use a combination ms MS Access and MS Excel.

Set it up like this.

Create a database in MS Access and provide a from in which your operators would input the data.

In the MS Excel, create the chart and let the data be connected to the MS Access via its data connectivity/SQL feature.

Then you can create a excel macro to that will ask the excel to update at certain time frequency.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Sounds like you are doing precision machining. If that is the case, you want software that will allow you to use the correct SPC methodology - the X hi/lo -R chart. You surely do not want to implement the X bar-R, X-MR or X trend-R charting, as it is incorrect for your application (at least lengths and diameters), and I would hate to see you spend money on software that will not work!

As far as a database that supports it, it appears InfinityQS may have that capability. I have been discussing the X hi/lo R charting with them, and they have proposed a technique to implement it within their system with its current capabilities. I hope to verify the technique next week with sample data. If it works, I will be more than happy to share the results. InfinityQS is capable of automated input, wireless and multiplexed interfaces and direct input of data on input screens set up for the operators.

Last edited:

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I did a quick run-through of a technique of developing an X hi/lo-R chart using InfinityQS. I plugged in a data set I had, set up the specs and used warning limits rather than the control limit feature. Still works well - providing a pop-up warning and color-coded flag on the data input. It is actually several IX charts, one for Hi values, one for Low values plotted on the same chart using the "Group" feature, then a IX chart of Range values calculated from the Hi and Lo data input. It's a little tricky to set up the first time, but can be input on an operator screen or directly from gaging. Also, you can either put in the hi and lo values, or put in all values measured and the software will calculate it internally. See the attachment for the screen shot.

I have no affiliation with InfinityQS - just darn glad that somebody can do this charting in their software!

Attachments

• InfinityQS X hi-lo R Chart.doc
    81 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I work in a job shop with CNC Lathes, CNC Mills and CNC Grinders. We are looking into starting an SPC program. I would like to not have the operators manually make a control chart or graph, I would like it to be electronically made using excel or other database. What are you guys using with success? I envision an operator taking a measurement and either sending it to a excel file on their machine or sending it to a remote computer for a quality person to review. Any ideas would be great. I have looked at Mitutoyo and MicroRidge. Anyone use these? I know Mitutoyo requires their own software and it is not user friendly. The MicroRidge seems to be more flexible.

I did a quick run-through of a technique of developing an X hi/lo-R chart using InfinityQS. I plugged in a data set I had, set up the specs and used warning limits rather than the control limit feature. Still works well - providing a pop-up warning and color-coded flag on the data input. It is actually several IX charts, one for Hi values, one for Low values plotted on the same chart using the "Group" feature, then a IX chart of Range values calculated from the Hi and Lo data input. It's a little tricky to set up the first time, but can be input on an operator screen or directly from gaging. Also, you can either put in the hi and lo values, or put in all values measured and the software will calculate it internally. See the attachment for the screen shot.

I have no affiliation with InfinityQS - just darn glad that somebody can do this charting in their software!
When it comes to the nitty gritty details of SPC, Bob is the go to guy. I'd defer to him on a choice of software.

As to the entire concept of direct input from machine to computer, this post
lists several posts and threads where I've discussed the system used in my own shops.

Note my experience detailed in those posts is now more than ten years old. We hard wired machines and test instruments to computers. Today, wireless connections are the way to go. Our software was self-created and would be hopelessly out of date today.

Critical to customer-centric operation is to make the data available in real time via internet to customers. This will save acres of trees in printing and shipping reports.

Top Bottom