Using Mil-STD-2000A as soldering specification

phxsun2001

Involved - Posts
I am auditing a company making controls for aerospace company. Their procedure say that they are following Mil-std-2000A, which was cancelled. Their training requirement is to have their solder operators retrained and recertified by their trainer who was certified to the Mil-2000A in 2001. I looked through the Mil-2000A standard and could not find anything that tells me that the Mil-Std -2000A solder trainer has to be re-certified every 2 or 3 years like the J-Std.

Is this a nonconformance?

-Tony

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Using Mil-STD-2000A as soldering specifiction

Is anyone here current on soldering requirements who can help with this question?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I am auditing a company making controls for aerospace company. Their procedure say that they are following Mil-std-2000A, which was cancelled. Their training requirement is to have their solder operators retrained and recertified by their trainer who was certified to the Mil-2000A in 2001. I looked through the Mil-2000A standard and could not find anything that tells me that the Mil-Std -2000A solder trainer has to be re-certified every 2 or 3 years like the J-Std.

-Tony

It appears to me that the organization violated their own (internal) training requirement. In my opinion, that is a nonconformity.

Stijloor.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
How are they violating their own requirement?

I may be misreading/interpreting....but this is what I read:

Their training requirement is to have their solder operators retrained and recertified by their trainer who was certified to the Mil-2000A in 2001. I looked through the Mil-2000A standard and could not find anything that tells me that the Mil-Std -2000A solder trainer has to be re-certified every 2 or 3 years like the J-Std.

Stijloor.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

-Tony
Although the government no longer maintains MIL-STD-2000, I don't see why they can't use it as their workmanship standard. They can even develop their own standard if the want to, but most companies use J-STD-001 and inspect in accordance with IPC-A610. Others may be required to meet NASA standards.

BTW, MIL-STD-2000A most certainly had a training program including certification. See paragraph 5.1.4, Certification of personnel.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
I may be misreading/interpreting....but this is what I read:

Stijloor.
If the standard doesn't require certifying every 2 years, but you do it, why are you violating your own procedures?

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
BTW, MIL-STD-2000A most certainly had a training program including certification. See paragraph 5.1.4, Certification of personnel.

I have the previous version (1989) and it also has a requirement (5.2) for "examiners and trainers" to be certified and then recertified every two years.

Top Bottom