Consultant Help? The Enduring Consultant

S

SuperGirl

Hi Everyone!

First, I just want to say Thank you to everyone on this site for the wonderful information that has been posted. I know reading through the various thread has help me out a lot.

So, here's the question I have. I was brought into the company to start the Quality System, about 6 months ago. Prior to me the had hired a consultant to help them, he is still on retainer with us (going on three years now). In the time that I have been here I have written and implemented the Quality Manual. The owner would like to have our consultant go through and audit, to see if everything is going okay, so far, and to make sure that we aren't missing anything big. The problem is that the consultant has rescheudled on us four times, and does not repsond to emails or phone calls. One of the date was reschedule due to the product manager being over seas. Is it time to get a new consultant? Or, at this point to we even need one? Any imput, thoughts, or opinions would greatly help.

D

Duke Okes

Re: Consultant Help?

Relevant questions:

- what is the role of the consultant (e.g., what was the consultant hired to do)?
- does the consultant have a demonstrated track record and appropriate credentials to indicate the capability to do it?
- is the consultant doing it?
- if the consultant was hired to help implement a QMS, what has been going on during the 3 years of contract?

Assuming that all of these point to QMS and no progress, and the fact that the consultant is not performing, get rid of him/her. Sounds like you know what you're doing, and you can always find another consultant to help look over your shoulder if needed.

S

SuperGirl

Relevant questions:

- what is the role of the consultant (e.g., what was the consultant hired to do)?]

- does the consultant have a demonstrated track record and appropriate credentials to indicate the capability to do it?
- is the consultant doing it?
- if the consultant was hired to help implement a QMS, what has been going on during the 3 years of contract?

1) The role of the consulant was do help write and implement the QMS, prior to me no one had the knowledge as to how to do it.

2) Apparently, according to my boss, I'm going to fast. Before me they didn't have any problems with the consultant getting back in a timely matter. As as side note, they only kinda wrote and half implemented 1 SOP durring this time. And in the last six months we/I have wrote the others, reviesed the one that was written and implemented them.

3) He has the qualfication, but mostly the are in the pharmacuetical feild. Which is were I have by back ground as well, but there are very distigitive difference that I have come across.

I would love to let this consultant go, after he does the audit that the owner would like. And if needed get another one. But my boss (not the owner) doesn't think that is a good idea. :frust:

D

Duke Okes

I don't understand why it would take 3 years to implement a QMS, even in the pharma industry.

Perhaps you should sit down with the owner and clarify expectations for you, consultant and QMS implementation, then bring in the consultant to discuss what you decided and how to go forward.

M

Mark E.S. Bernard

Dear Colleagues,

Based on my own experience the more eyes on a process or document the better, so long as you know what it is that you need in the end and don't get pulled off into another direction.

I say change'em up!!

Sincerely,
Mark.

AndyN

Moved On

3 years? I wish I could have found a gig like that, when I was a consultant!

Now, there's always the thought that the leadership aren't listening to the consultant, but it's still up to that person to 'read them the riot act' and get the show on the road. That's really what they've been paying for.

I think it's time to force a review of progress, deliverables etc. and see where you are. That might seal the fate...;)

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

3 years? I wish I could have found a gig like that, when I was a consultant!

Now, there's always the thought that the leadership aren't listening to the consultant, but it's still up to that person to 'read them the riot act' and get the show on the road. That's really what they've been paying for.

I think it's time to force a review of progress, deliverables etc. and see where you are. That might seal the fate...;)
Let me suggest a dark thought - this consultant has "clout" with the owners or managers. Don't jump the gun on trying to get him/her replaced until you have a good sense of the politics involved.

Apparently ALL the reschedules are not due to the consultant, but some internal causes as well.

:topic:I spent a great number of years both wielding and dodging knives in the back in the executive suite. No exec in his right mind keeps a non-performing consultant on board without a good reason. Problem is that reason often has nothing to do with effectiveness, but depends on who is the "rabbi" protecting the consultant.

T

trainerbob

Amen, Wes. As a consultant and auditor I have seen too much of that type of activity. It certainly dosen't do our reputations any good.

charanjit singh

Involved In Discussions
You are riight Wes. There is more here than meets the eye. The question is what should be done under the present circumstances when the consultant seems to have big clout with the top management.

One thought that occurs to me is for Super Girl to prepare & submit a note to the boss on the status of QMS documentation and/or implementation with an estimated time frame for reaching the target of completion/certifiction or whatever. If considered necessary the assistance required from the consultnat (with time frame) can discreetly be included with a request to the boss to okay it. This will keep a window open for all who want the consultant to 'remain in power'

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Before you proceed further, it would be prudent to ensure that you covered your base by taking the following action.

Call him to discuss your plan and let him know your project schedule. Give him a chance to counter propose with an agreeable schedule. If you cannot get him, send him an official (registered) mail with these details and give him adequate time (2 weeks minimum) to respond, otherwise it will be considered as acceptance.

The flip side of the coin is that the poor fellow could have been waiting to complete the job and your management haven't done their part, thus dragging the job for such a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom