DFMEA & PFMEA Lead Responsibility

K

KWB64

Fellow Quality Professionals,

Just taking a little survey here; in your organizations, what functional area has lead responsibility for Design FMEA? What about Process FMEA? Please don't confuse my question with functional area for facilitation; I think regardless of function, who ever has the expertise can "lend a hand" in facilitation. I'm wondering about functional area that owns, maintains, and manages the FMEA.

In my organization there is a belief that FMEA are the responsibility of the Quality "Department". I disagree; in my opinion Design Engineering / Product Engineering should take the lead, with cross functional support and participation for DFMEA. Process Engineering / Manufacturing Engineering should take the lead role with cross functional support for PFMEA.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
KWB64

Last edited by a moderator:
D

David DeLong

I absolutely agree with you and if you have the newest AIAG FMEA standard, it will also agree with your statement.

Quality is a participant in both design and process FMEA but does not lead.

bgot62

Starting to get Involved
This post could not have come at a better time for me. We are a small production company just coming out of the "mom and pop dirt floor garage " era, I am very new to being the quality department and we are just starting these types of exercises. I fight this mentality everyday.

:mad:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Just taking a little survey here; in your organizations, what functional area has lead responsibility for Design FMEA? What about Process FMEA? Please don't confuse my question with functional area for facilitation; I think regardless of function, who ever has the expertise can "lend a hand" in facilitation. I'm wondering about functional area that owns, maintains, and manages the FMEA.

In my organization there is a belief that FMEA are the responsibility of the Quality "Department". I disagree; in my opinion Design Engineering / Product Engineering should take the lead, with cross functional support and participation for DFMEA. Process Engineering / Manufacturing Engineering should take the lead role with cross functional support for PFMEA.

Thanks,
KWB64

I'm curious: Are you an automotive supplier? The reason that I am asking is that in the automotive supplier business a "multidisciplinary approach" for Quality Planning, FMEA and Control plans is required. You are absolutely correct. Tell your colleagues at work that your friends at The Cove Forums support you! :agree1:

Stijloor.

K

KWB64

Stijloor,

We are not an automotive supplier; we are an OEM of heavy construction equipment with very low volumes (for us high volume might be 100 machines / year, less than 20 / year is common). We need some serious culture change here! Quality is too much about the Quality Department. The most common answer to every quality escape is inspection. The Quality Team is trying to emphisize proactive approahes.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource

Thanks,
KWB64

Why not, if your Quality Department is good(skilled) enough to own, maintain and manage ?

raghu_1968

Involved In Discussions

Thanks,
KWB64

FMEA is the cross functional team approach.

Hence Quality person may also part of the CFT and it does not mean that Quality department is responsible for activities with respect to FMEA.

Regards / Raghu

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
I absolutely agree with you and if you have the newest AIAG FMEA standard, it will also agree with your statement.

Quality is a participant in both design and process FMEA but does not lead.

I dont think AIAG FMEA Manual - IV talks about specific leader. Or did i miss somefing?:confused:

Last edited:
D

David DeLong

I dont think AIAG FMEA Manual - IV talks about specific leader. Or did i miss somefing?:confused:

Page 69 AIAG 4th edition states "The PFMEA is developed and maintained by a multi-disciplinary team typically led by the responsible engineer."

Page 17 of the 4th edition states "The DFMEA is developed and maintained by a multi-disciplinary team typically led by the design responsible engineer from the responsible design source."

This makes sense unless you have a small shop where personnel wear many hats. In a small shop, the Designer would still lead the DFMEA while a knowledgeable person in manufacturing would lead the PFMEA.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Page 69 AIAG 4th edition states "The PFMEA is developed and maintained by a multi-disciplinary team typically led by the responsible engineer."

Page 17 of the 4th edition states "The DFMEA is developed and maintained by a multi-disciplinary team typically led by the design responsible engineer from the responsible design source."

This makes sense unless you have a small shop where personnel wear many hats. In a small shop, the Designer would still lead the DFMEA while a knowledgeable person in manufacturing would lead the PFMEA.

I've worked in situations where the FMEA process (both varieties) is lead by an engineer, and others where a QA person does it. What's important is not who leads the process, but how effective the process is. I'm not sure where AIAG gets the idea that an engineering lead is "typical." On the whole I'd want someone who (a) understands the FMEA process, (b) knows how to run a meeting, and (c) has the confidence of the team. The department that person works in is largely irrelevant.

Top Bottom