Product Safety - Damage or hurt to our or Client's Installations or Employees

Q

Qualiman

By years I have understood that this QS 9000 item (4.2.3.4) refers to the care shall be taken to prevent that the our product would damage or hurt our or client's people or instalations.
Am I OK or it refers to the safety given to the product itself?

A

Al Dyer

Qualiman:

Read it to refer to the safety of the product as it will affect internal personnel and customers.

Usually during APQP/PPAP (or earlier in the design process) any safety considerations need to be reviewed.

- Does the part have sharp edges that could lead to lacerations?

- Is the part so heavy for an operator to safely handle therefore needing some type of automation or two operators?

- Is the part oily and easy to drop on someones foot?

- Is the part treated in some type of chemical rust prehibitor that could affect one of the customers personnel?

Just some thoughts to promote discussion.

ASD...

Q

Qualiman

Al:

Thank you for your fast (!really!!) response, which confirms the idea I have handleed a long time.
Just to comment: Last saturday I gave a QS 9000 seminar and one of the attendees (sefety responsible) told me that he went time ago to a similar seminar and the speaker told him that the criteria was to "protect the material, product or part" instead of people or facilities/equipment of customer/supplier.
To me, it is enough the care given to the
product/parts mentioned in 4.15

Thanks again

Qualiman

P.S. By the way, talking about safety . Do you know what happened with ISO 18000?

R

Roger Eastin

Qualiman - regarding ISO18000 and its being issued, this is one reason why I asked for a forum on. However, you can see by the lack of response to the forum, we are probably a weeeeee bit too early asking those questions. I guess it will some edict by the Big 3 to get something started!!!!

T

Trakman

Qualiman,

In our procedures for engineers writing a procedure that is a process, we stipulate that:
...if any condition is adverse to product quality...including operator safety, warnings and references to or directions to prevent damage to the product or operator are REQUIRED.

As an example, we use aerosol conformal coating. Good ventilation, a mask, and grounding are required due to the explosive hazard. These safety requirements MUST be mentioned in the procedure, or be referenced to an external procedure (e.g. "Please see MSDS...") that indicates the safety requirements.

To summarize, if the operator fails to utilize the proper safety equipment, would the material be damaged? Yes! It would - so therefore it is a reasonable requirement.

Keep being inventive!

Trakman.

------------------

A

amrut1706

Re: Product Safety - Damage or hurt our or client's installations or employees

Product safety is becoming very vital in eyes of customer, manufacturer......These issues need to treat differently.

K

kgott

By years I have understood that this QS 9000 item (4.2.3.4) refers to the care shall be taken to prevent that the our product would damage or hurt our or client's people or instalations.
Am I OK or it refers to the safety given to the product itself?

Even if it does'nt mean that you should consider that aspect of the safety of your products anyway.

Our safety requirements here are a little different. Here the duty of care extends to a legisaltive requirement to consider and design in safety controls not just for those who use or operate the product but also for those who maintain, repair, deconstruct or dispose of the proudct.

I would suggest the smart thing to do would be to see the writing on the wall and consider these sorts of liability issues anyway.

Top Bottom