My Company wants to Implement ISO 9001-2000 and become Certified - The Big Start

A

Andy CDA

Hello Everyone,

My company wants to implement ISO 9001-2000 and become certified. I have been chosen to head this up. We are a metal fabrication and assembly company. Our current quality procedures are pretty much a blank piece of paper. Where do I start? I know I need to write a quality manual and I know there are only a mandatory 6 things that need to be covered but I also know there is a lot more to it than that. Does anyone have a realistic list of things that should be covered? I would also like to know about companies that offer to help like ISO Accel. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bobh@pte

Re: The Big Start - My Company wants to Implement ISO 9001-2000 and become Certified

Start out by determining what processes take place in your facility and having everyone write down their procedures. You cannot write a Quality Manual or Procedures Manual until you have figured this out.

For a modest sum, if you are going to do this yourself, you could do what I did a buy some templates and so forth from Marc, our host. Then you just have to apply what your company does and fit it into the templates.

B

Bobh@pte

I would also suggest performing or having a gap analysis performed.

J

JHagani

Andy,

I wish you best of luck.
Make sure your top management really support you on this task.
and.... Come to cove often, and ask a lot of questions.

I was at the same spot two years ago, and with no budget for a consultant, my only help were the good people at cove.
Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Your questions couldn't be dumber than mine :bonk:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello Everyone,

My company wants to implement ISO 9001-2000 and become certified. I have been chosen to head this up. We are a metal fabrication and assembly company. Our current quality procedures are pretty much a blank piece of paper. Where do I start? I know I need to write a quality manual and I know there are only a mandatory 6 things that need to be covered but I also know there is a lot more to it than that. Does anyone have a realistic list of things that should be covered? I would also like to know about companies that offer to help like ISO Accel. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andy,

Before you start with documentation etc. you should do the following:
  • Have the Managers clearly define why they want to become certified/registered to ISO 9001. That will hopefully lead to some common understanding and alignment within the management team.
  • Conduct training. Explain what a good quality management system consist of and what the requirements are.
  • Perform a gap analysis. Compare the current state of affairs with the requirements. You may be closer/better than you may think.
  • Identify the key processes in your organization and its owners. List inputs, transitional activities and outputs. Determine objectives and measurements.
  • Determine the information required and necessary to support these processes so that anyone can work safe, effective and efficient.
  • Start the documentation process (Process owners)
  • Implement.
  • Audit
  • Correct
  • Improve
  • Etc.
There's a lot more than could be described in a few paragraphs, but you get some sense how it works. Keep in mind that you're developing a management system containing of processes. Don't fall in the over-documentation trap!!

There are many threads and posts here at The Cove and many good people that are always ready to lend you a hand.

Just a few thoughts and ideas.

Stijloor.

D

David DeLong

I agree that you must have top management support but you do really need help on this. Trying to invent the wheel again just costs too much time and $$.

I have been designing quality systems since 1986 but since about the year 2000, I have only been presenting seminars.

I will attach an outline or index page of a TS company. This will give you some assistance on the topics that one must have. This index includes automotive areas in this such as PPAP, FMEA etc. that are not mandatory in ISO. It will give you some idea.

Start from the first system and go forward. Make sure that the procedure designed are verbally approved by everyone involved or else implementation will be impossible.

I could also give you an outline of a procedure that I have successfully used over the years but I think having a good flow chart today of each system is the way to go.

Good luck! It will take at least a year to obtain.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hello Everyone,

Please read Stijloor's advice carefully. He offers a very good sequence of steps, in the right order.

Do not begin with procedures, begin with reading and learning what this is about. Read ISO 9001 and ISO 9004. It provides a lot of insight.

Get a good consultant for at least a couple days of overview training. It will be money well-spent. In fact, it probably won't cost you anything, net, because it will save you much time and money. There are a number of us consultants here on this forum. Read some of what I and others have written, and make your own selection.

Then, begin by defining your processes and slowly wade in from there. Writing procedures and manuals comes later, when the framework is beginning to take shape.

best wishes...from all of us.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
There is some excellent advice already in this thread so I will just add that I find it useful to have a simple plan similar to the one attached (feel free to use and modify it if it helps) to define the sequence of the project.

How long the project takes depends on lots of things such as size and complexity of your company, resources available, etc but I normally look to do it in 6 - 9 months.

Attachments

• 9001 Gantt.xls
    17 KB · Views: 604
A

Andy CDA

Thanks to everyone for your advice - it's greatly appreciated! I want to wish all a happy and safe holiday!:thanx:

A

Andy CDA

I agree that you must have top management support but you do really need help on this. Trying to invent the wheel again just costs too much time and $$.

I have been designing quality systems since 1986 but since about the year 2000, I have only been presenting seminars.

I will attach an outline or index page of a TS company. This will give you some assistance on the topics that one must have. This index includes automotive areas in this such as PPAP, FMEA etc. that are not mandatory in ISO. It will give you some idea.

Start from the first system and go forward. Make sure that the procedure designed are verbally approved by everyone involved or else implementation will be impossible.

I could also give you an outline of a procedure that I have successfully used over the years but I think having a good flow chart today of each system is the way to go.

Good luck! It will take at least a year to obtain.
Dave,

Thanks for your advice. You mentioned a couple of attachments. I was wondering if I could get those from you? This is such a major task and our company needs some major improvements. Again, I really appreciate the help.:thanx:

Top Bottom