AS9100 Certification of a Non-Aerospace Company

K

kmalysiak

Hello to all Aerospace folks,
on the website available IAQG ICOP Resolutions Logs there is an active and open resolution for AS9104:
#29, dated to 04/10/2005
"OPMT agreed that non-aerospace companies can apply for and be certified to 9100/9110/9120 within the scope of the standard."
with status:
"Published for clarification going forward. Resolution to be closed upon update to AS9104 with clarification of eligibility for 9100/9110/9120 certification."
So as long as this is not published in standard (and certainly is not in AS91004/1/2/3), there is no way to get as9100 certification for non-aerospace company?
The base for my question is the following issue. I work in manufacturing plant certified for many years to ISO9001, ISO/TS16949 with no aerospace products. And the mgm policy is the following:
-get AS9100 certification (with all the necessary actions to get our existing qms along AS, which is in my opinion not possible without existing aerospace products/ customers)
-look for aerospace customers / products
So basically the idea is to certify first manufacture next (which is odd, but that is the policy)
Apart from the #29 resolution is there any other way to do this?
Best regards,
Chris

Big Jim

Admin
In the forward of AS9100C it clearly states that AS9100C can be used by any company that wants a more robust system than ISO 9001 provides.

"While primarily developed for the aviation, space and defense industry, the standard can also be used in other industry sectors where a quality management system with additional requirements over an ISO 9001 system is needed."

Perhaps part of your confusion is that TS16949 does require that you be producing parts for current production of new cars or trucks before you can become registered to TS16949. No such requirement exists for AS9100C.

I have helped many companies obtain AS9100C registration without having any customers or product involved in aerospace. They get registered to chase that business. That sounds like what your top management wants to do.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello to all Aerospace folks,
on the website available IAQG ICOP Resolutions Logs there is an active and open resolution for AS9104:
#29, dated to 04/10/2005
"OPMT agreed that non-aerospace companies can apply for and be certified to 9100/9110/9120 within the scope of the standard."
with status:
"Published for clarification going forward. Resolution to be closed upon update to AS9104 with clarification of eligibility for 9100/9110/9120 certification."
So as long as this is not published in standard (and certainly is not in AS91004/1/2/3), there is no way to get as9100 certification for non-aerospace company?
The base for my question is the following issue. I work in manufacturing plant certified for many years to ISO9001, ISO/TS16949 with no aerospace products. And the mgm policy is the following:
-get AS9100 certification (with all the necessary actions to get our existing qms along AS, which is in my opinion not possible without existing aerospace products/ customers)
-look for aerospace customers / products
So basically the idea is to certify first manufacture next (which is odd, but that is the policy)
Apart from the #29 resolution is there any other way to do this?
Best regards,
Chris

Note: The open resolution #29 for AS9104 is applicable to AS9104:2006. That became obsolete when the AS9104 Issued 2012-01 was released.

I agree with Big Jim and there are additional threads in this forum that cover the same subject. Bottom line - you do not need to run Aerospace product to get certified to the AQMS 9100.

K

kmalysiak

Hello,
:thanx: for quick reponces!!!!!
but don't you fall than into trouble with AS9101D requirements that specifically requires for stage 1 audit
-the revenue for aviation, as proportion of total revenue
-number of emplyees working for aviation
-identification of top five aviation customers
-12 months performance measures.

As with the last point you can support yourself with data from ISO/TS / 9001 activities, for
first three questions you then should answer zero, zero, zero. Is this not gonna be a problem for CB? :(

K

kmalysiak

Thanks for quick responce!!!!!
but don't you fall than into trouble with AS9101D requirements that specifically requires for stage 1 audit
-the revenue for aviation, as proportion of total revenue
-number of employees working for aviation
-identification of top five aviation customers
-12 months performance measures.

As with the last point you can support yourself with data from ISO/TS / 9001 activities, for
first three questions you then should answer zero, zero, zero. Is this not gonna be a problem for CB?
Best Regards!

T

tlsparks

We just did exactly what you are being asked to do. We went from ISO to AS without having any aerospace customers. We can't actually produce for the 2 we are going to be working with until we have that certification. We are able to produce only certain classes of prototypes until we get AS certified. Our auditors went in knowing this and we were audited using our current customer base. Obviously some things are going to need to be tweaked but everything is in place to meet AS9100 standard.

K

kmalysiak

Hello tlsparks,

thanks for prompt answer. Did during certification CB asked you for:
1. the revenue for aviation, as proportion of total revenue
2. number of employees working for aviation
3. identification of top five aviation customers
4.12 months performance measures.

as AS9101D requires?

Is so, how did you supported these questions (especially 1,2,3) without AS9100 products / customers.

Looking forward for any comments. :bigwave:

Best regards,
Chris

T

tlsparks

We answered "zero" to the first 3, then they used metrics from current customers. They did note the 2 aerospace customers that we are going to be working with but basically that is it and they did list our current customer base by percentage.

K

kmalysiak

Hello,

this I think finalizes discussion. Thanks for all your support!!:applause:

Best regards,
Chris

Top Bottom