Electronic box (design phase) - 'Acceptable' ppm

A

avigeva

Hello there, :frust:
Our company is making its first steps in the automotive industry.
A customer of an new electronic box (design phase) wishes to get the quality estimation in DPM - Defects Per Million (PPM!?).
Since we do not have data on this product and we are new in this industry, what numbers are "acceptable"? 1000ppm ? more? less?. This product is not for safety related usage.
Thanks for your help

Avi

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Usually acceptable DPPM is specified by the customer. It's difficult to say what is reasonable unless you have some historical data on the product or one with a similar design. Sorry, not much help...

R

RosieA

Avigeva,
I'm not sure if you've produced any parts yet, but if you have, have you done any process capability studies? That would be the best way to determine what you can do. If the customer isn't happy then you'll need to do some process improvements to get the ppm rate where it needs to be.

DPM is very product and industry dependent. In my last job 2500 ppm was a good number. In my present job, 100 ppm is the target.

G

galcantar

Agreed with Rosie; eventhough Six Sigma methodology looks for 3.4 ppms
:eek:

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Most of our automotive customers have a "First Time Quality" requirement of 2.0 Ppk minimum (2 parts/billion) for KPCs and have "moved the bar" to 1.67 Ppk minimum (<1 part/million) for "fit/function" characteristics. The "standard" for all other characteristics has remained either 1.0 or 1.33 Ppk (normally we don't study these characteristics so we have no idea what our capabilities are). Ongoing Cpk values then reduce to 1.67 and 1.33, respectively (typically).

Keep in mind, as you enter the "automotive world", regardless of your "acceptable" PPM threshold, send one nonconforming part to a customer and you may find yourself in a "Level 2" containment situation ($$$$$$).

Bill

A

anilo

avigeva said:
Hello there, :frust:
Our company is making its first steps in the automotive industry.
A customer of an new electronic box (design phase) wishes to get the quality estimation in DPM - Defects Per Million (PPM!?).
Since we do not have data on this product and we are new in this industry, what numbers are "acceptable"? 1000ppm ? more? less?. This product is not for safety related usage.
Thanks for your help

Avi
Hi AVi.
If you go to smt.pennet.com and search for SMT, tou'll find a lot of articles concerning this matter.

There are still conversion table from DPMO to ppm and Cpk: these are found by statistical methods.

tri it by google.
i had one table, but i lost it.
If i'll find i'll post it here.
good luck.
Anilo

R

RosieA

anilo said:
Hi AVi.
If you go to smt.pennet.com and search for SMT, tou'll find a lot of articles concerning this matter.Anilo

Anilo, I was unable to find any site called smt.pennet.com, although I searched several ways. Any hints?

Top Bottom