Training Matrix - Skills based matrix within an Investment Foundry

• Thread starter Fallenangel33 - 2004
  • Start date
F

Fallenangel33 - 2004

Hi everyone, first timer on cove and I think its great.

We have Training matrix's for each area/department but they are based around individuals ability to perform to a company procedure. I think a better idea would be to use competencies/skills, but am worrying that this would be a mamouth task. This was implemented before my time at the company but now after settling in I want to start to tackle issues such as this. As anyone got any suggestions on skills based matix's within an Investment Foundry which has all the usual departsments such as Sales, Engineering, Quality, NDT and pproduction depts.

Hope someone out there can help me :confused:

Regards

Fallenangel

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Fallenangel33 said:
Hi everyone, first timer on cove and I think its great.

Welcome, Fallenangel33! :bigwave: I agree that the Cove is great...hopefully you will find answers to the questions you ask...or at least a lot of people pointing you in the right direction!

Fallenangel33 said:
We have Training matrix's for each area/department but they are based around individuals ability to perform to a company procedure. I think a better idea would be to use competencies/skills, but am worrying that this would be a mamouth task. This was implemented before my time at the company but now after settling in I want to start to tackle issues such as this. As anyone got any suggestions on skills based matix's within an Investment Foundry which has all the usual departsments such as Sales, Engineering, Quality, NDT and pproduction depts.

Why not have both? A matrix that deals specifically with company documentation and training modules and another that focuses on skills/competencies?

One access would list all of the positions in your company, the other all of the necessary skills and competencies (e.g., Internal Auditor ISO 9001 training, Familiar with Microsoft Excel, Forklift driver certification, etc.).

If there is an 'R' in the positions cell, they are required to have training. If there is an 'O', then training is optional. If there is an 'N', not required (we don't want the matrix to have any blanks!).

Then, using colour-coding, show that the skill/comptency has been attained. Green = successfully complete. Yellow = currently scheduled. Red = unsuccessfully completed and/or not yet scheduled. Grey = Not Required.

G

Greg B

Hi FallenAngel33 (that is a lot to type. How about just Angel? :))

I agree with Roxane (as always :lmao: ) and to show you some of my systems please look at the following Thread:

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8169

and in particluar my Post

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=73421&postcount=11

The Skills table shows the operator how they can achieve higher grades through learning more skills.

The Magensia Production Table shows an operator ALL of the skills for a given area. There are basically one of these for each area. This Master table shows all of the machinery licenses, office skills, trade skills etc that an operator must possess or be able to gain. The position descriptions refer to these tables for skills and competencies.

The competency checklist is attached to the back of EVERY work instruction (they are reviewed by the crews and operators annually). An operator who wants a particular skill or area ticked off on their training records must be assessed as competent by the relevant area supervisor using the Checklist

I hope it helps

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Fallenangel33 said:
Thanks for your help and advice!!

Hey, Fallenangel33...it's been 4 weeks since you posted your question and week since we've heard from you. Any update on the matrix? I'd love to see what you come up with! :agree1:

S

Shaun Daly

We use a sort of combination skills matrix which covers documentation & work skills.

Ie if an operator can read & understand a Visual Inspction Aid at his workstation that is a skill, if the same operator has been trained on a particular type of job that is also a skill.

For each column in the skills matrix we do a training evaluation, where the trainers do a question/answer/show me session with the operators.

Boxes in the training matrix are colour coded as per previous replies.

Attachments

• TPM Skills Matrix, Moulding Shop Shift B.doc
    200.5 KB · Views: 1,380
  • TER-M3 Small Parts Weighing.doc
    64 KB · Views: 485
G

Greg B

Shaun Daly said:
We use a sort of combination skills matrix which covers documentation & work skills.

Ie if an operator can read & understand a Visual Inspction Aid at his workstation that is a skill, if the same operator has been trained on a particular type of job that is also a skill.

For each column in the skills matrix we do a training evaluation, where the trainers do a question/answer/show me session with the operators.

Boxes in the training matrix are colour coded as per previous replies.

:applause: Excellent charts Shaun,
I have espoused these for years. Colour coding makes it very simple to se ewhere people are at.

Top Bottom