Internal Audit Checklist - Production Audit Checklist

C

ccochran

Howdy, folks:

In general, I am opposed to canned audit checklists. They seem to turn auditing into a mindless, mechanical process (...to me, anyway). I was recently out at a customer, though, and my hostess insisted I cook up a few audit checklists for her. The rationale was that her staff had been cut to the bone and the company had to make auditing as easy and uncomplicated as possible. It certainly make sense to me once I thought about it from that perspective.

I've attached one of the checklists I developed, a generic "production" audit checklist that should be applicable to just about any kind of organization. Feel free to use or edit it as you see fit. And let me know if it's worth a cr&p.

Good luck,
CC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Craig Cochran
Center for International Standards & Quality
Georgia Institute of Technology

Attachments

• Production audit checklist, 10-29-03.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 6,838
I think that the fact that your list is generic makes it more useful than ordinary canned checklists. What you have put together is more like basic material for creating a checklist.

I like that, because ordinarily I'm opposed to canned lists too.

/Claes

Last edited:
G

Greg B

Craig,

I have to agree with Claes. I also like the simplicity of the checklist and like Claes suggest it is a great starting point for creating a more specific checklist. With your permission, I would like to use this with my brand new auditors - they have recently returned from their course and have yet to undertake an audit. This will provide them with excellent prompts.

Keep up the good work. This is why I love this place because of the exchange of Ideas. :bigwave:

Greg B

M

mshell

Craig,

I agree, this type of list would be very useful to our organization as we only have 2 auditors and we will be very stretched out once we begin auditing. This list will make the preparation process easier. I LOVE THE COVE too Greg. It is one of the best professional investments that I have made and it has helped me a great deal. Thanks to all of our experts.

mshell

C

ccochran

Greg,

I would be honored if you were able to use the checklist. You will probably want to tweak the content and/or wording to suit your own particular situation.

I've also attached the Supervisor Checklist that's the partner to the other one I posted. The first 3-4 questions are the same as the production checklist, but then it shifts gears and focuses on supervisory tasks. Not all the questions on the supervisory checklist are directly linked to ISO 9001:2000, but all of them are at least indirectly linked. They'll put a less experienced auditor on the right trail. Please note that this checklist is not for Top Management, just process or departmental supervision.

Talk to you soon,
Craig

Attachments

• Supervisor audit checklist, 10-29-03.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,714
S

SteelWoman

Nice, I like that listing, too. Would be a good tool for training Internal auditors.

G

Greg B

Craig,

Once again, another great checklist. Now for the 'constructive criticism' . I will change the question style of many of the questions ,for my new auditors, as many of them are closed questions (yes/no) and I'd like my new guys to learn how to extract the information and have the auditees show or explain their answers(JMHO). They have just learnt how NOT to ask closed questions. All in all, I think the checklists will be a valuable prompting tool for my guys and a supplement to their own checklists.

Thanks and keep up the good work :bigwave:

Greg B

C

ccochran

Greg,

That will be an improvement. Good thinking! I'd love to see your checklists when you're done with them. Hope you've had a nice weekend on the other side of the world. I'm about to crack open a cold one...

Craig

G

Greg B

ccochran said:
Greg,

That will be an improvement. Good thinking! I'd love to see your checklists when you're done with them. Hope you've had a nice weekend on the other side of the world. I'm about to crack open a cold one...

Craig

Craig,

I'll work on the checklists over the coming weeks. The only cold one I'll be having is water as I have just arrived at work. It is now 8.32 am Monday morning and 30 days until I start holidays. :biglaugh:

Greg B

W

wizard of oz

after 8 years still your checklist is a great support to new comers.Thanks for making such a easy way of doing the hectic part of audit.

:thanx:

Top Bottom