Internal Auditors - How to Evaluate their Performance.

I

ISO MAN

Dear All,
I have more than 8 internal auditors working to audit the organization. I am looking for method to calibrate their audit performance. Does anyone have suggestions??

Thanks

T

Ted Schmitt

Re: Inetrnal Auditors Calibration and Performance Review

Dear All,
I have more than 8 internal auditors working to audit the organization. I am looking for method to calibrate their audit performance. Does anyone have suggestions??

Thanks

There are many ways to do this.... you can watch them auditing and make notes as to their performance, you can interview the auditees after a particular auditor audits them, you can periodically "test" them with a theoretical NC situation and have them analyze it and argue it either way with you... what I have seen most used is a quick interview with the auditee... hope this helped...

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Please scroll down to the bottom of this thread - there are some related links located there.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
what they said.

some other things to think about while doing that:

if you want to "calibrate" them then periodic (quarterly?) testing using different scenarios with group reviews is one of the best ways to keep everyone at the same level. it's also much less threatening as you can do it as a learning expereince and not a perfromance evaluation type of experience.

You can also independently review their findings: are they well documented? are they true nonconformances or are they their agenda/opinion? Are they trivial or meaty? (note if trivial - be careful on this one, the areas tehy audit may be very celan and there are only trivial findings to be found)

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
...You can also independently review their findings: are they well documented? are they true nonconformances or are they their agenda/opinion? Are they trivial or meaty? ...

In my auditor training, I recommend this should be a regular occurance. The Process Owner of Internal Auditing should review the findings of every audit WITH the audit team, before they are written as CA's.

I find that is a very effective calibration tool...assuming the person doing the reviews has good skills and audit experience. Very well worth the few minutes it takes. And, it is consistent with ISO 19011.

Top Bottom