Anyone with Experience of BS EN 1090?

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
I understand that from July 2014, all steel and aluminium construction products made in Europe will need to be CE marked as required by BS EN 1090.

Further, I understand that as part of meeting BS EN 1090, any welding needs to be in accordance with EN ISO 3834 (which seems to have around 5 different parts to it).

Can anyone shed any light on this situation please? Does anyone have any experience of implementing a system meeting these requirements?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
For those of us following along, From Wikipedia:

The Wikipedia reference-linkEN_1090 standards are European standards that regulate the fabrication and assembly of steel and aluminium structures and are recognized by the Construction Products Directive (CPD).

EN 1090 comprises three parts:

EN 1090-1: Requirements for conformity assessment for structural components (CE-Marking)
EN 1090-2: Technical requirements for the execution of steel structures
EN 1090-3: Technical requirements for the execution of aluminium structures

EN 1090 replaced the nationally applicable regulations, e.g. in Germany DIN 18800-7 and DIN V 4113-3.

CharlieUK

C

colsters

The descriptions regards 1090 are rather vague and the info regards the declaration of performance when 10 mm bolts are used is quite easy as less than 12 mm are mot permitted to be used in structural steel when you read 1090 part 2.

My question is that the NSSS building spec 5th edition is contradictory regards NDT testing and I was just wondering what the mandatory level of supplementary testing is for EXE Class 2 , I believe it to be typically 10%.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Reviving this thread...

Colin, did you get the ce mark on your construction products? Is a 3rd party audit required in order to apply the ce mark?

We are embarking on this and would appreciate any tips. We are already certified to ISO 3834-2 (and 9001).

Colin

Hi Pancho

In short, no. The client decided to hold off with the project for the time being. In practice, all products which fall under the directive should be supplied with a CE mark but in reality, there are few organisations in a position to do so. If the construction firms applied the directive fully, they would have no products so it appears (I cannot confirm this) that people are taking a practical view and not fully enforcing the directive. There are even rumours that it maybe withdrawn.

Colin

C

colsters

Actually the ce is only for harmonised items if an item is not harmonised the items may be purchased to the bs number.

C

colsters

Colin it is not the case that it will be withdrawn. Please do not believe the rumours as the next draft is now out. It cannot be withdrawn as CE is all about free trade in Europe.

Top Bottom