Benchmarks for Document Control process cycle (turnaround time)

M

Milspec

Hi all
I'm with a mid sized medical device company (500 people) and I'm looking for same sized companies average turn around time for the document control process. This would be for the entire process from first submitting a change request through the review, approval, and release process.
Any help here would be appreciated

R

ralphsulser

I usually do them the same day. We have 300 people and I developed and implemented the document control system when the plant started up 5 years ago. My computer has all the master controlled documents.Seems to work for our operation.

M

Milspec

Wow fast

ralphsulser said:
I usually do them the same day. We have 300 people and I developed and implemented the document control system when the plant started up 5 years ago. My computer has all the master controlled documents.Seems to work for our operation.

Thats Fast, Our Doc control process is a little more complicated, including the need to enter new part numbers, bills and routers into Oracle, having the approval meeting and document distrobution ia taking about 8.2 working days. Of course it depends on the size of the project. Our goal is 4 days.

Anyone else with a bench mark for me?

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I wouldn't say my organization has a goal, per se, but we do monitor any documents that are in limbo beyond their designated trigger points.

For example:
  • Document Change Requests Pending Approval > 14 days (it may require multiple approvals and not all personnel may be on-site)
  • Approved Document Change Requests Open > 30 days (it should take no longer than 30 days to make the changes and get the document approved...again, people are off-site frequently and other items may take priority over a document being updated)
  • Documents Pending Approval > 30 days (no document should be waiting for approval for more than 30 days)
  • Unnapproved Documentation > 10% - excluding New documentation (at no point should more than 10% of our documentation be sitting in revised/pending approval/pending review/or other form of non-approved state - exluding new).

I know that some people will probably frown upon the 14 and 30 day numbers...perhaps even the 10% number...but keep in mind that we have developed a system that works for us.

Obviously, if there is a priority issue (e.g., safety), the documentation will get pushed through the cycle much faster.

Keep in mind that we do monthly updates of our metrics...to have numbers with trigger points less than 30 (as in the case of the first one), does leave us open to missing some actual results.

For us, it really isn't about the turnaround time...as it is about ensuring we have the proper documentation available to the proper people in the proper location. Yes, there is a tie-in to turnaround time for a document, but we still have a business to run (and money to make)...and sometimes, the paperwork happens afterwards.

We refuse to to be backed into a corner because of our documentation.

But...if having a turnaround time works for you, great! :)

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Milspec said:
Thats Fast, Our Doc control process is a little more complicated, including the need to enter new part numbers, bills and routers into Oracle

This is part of the problem...Oracle is not real friendly to change. No personal experience with it but many of our customers use it. In fact, we have one customer that changes part numbers every time they revise a part.

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
About 1 day - for review, signoff, and then electronic release and available on the network. :)
BUT, here it is, wait for it.....it takes me anywhere from 1 to 4 months for an actual hardcopy distribution! :mg:
I should clarify the delay....it is because I process many other documents and I wait to get several documents and then distribute all at once. I really ought to distribute at end of every month or immediately. It's just that the master list would be in a constant state of change. I would have to stop distributing the master list. Not everyone is computer savvy or even has a computer. That is why I cannot go completely electronic. We have hardcopies out at different locations. It's a real chore. The company is about 500 in 1 city and 170 in another city.

Last edited:
Top Bottom