Does this document (housekeeping checklist) need to be controlled?

swierchris

Registered
In my company we use the attached housekeeping checklist. The question recently came up whether or not this checklist needs to be a controlled document. I am leaning towards not as I don't feel it directly affects our customer’s product or our process.

Attachments

• House Keeping Checklist.pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 362

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Does this document need to be controlled?

Welcome to the Cove!

Unless this document is mentioned anywhere in the Quality Manual, process documents etc. I tend to agree it doesn't need to be controlled.

AndyN

Moved On

Is this something Management want to have implemented? If so, control it! Control is about having it approved for use, so that people see Management are serious about implementing it. If someone's got an improvement, how are you going to ensure that everyone gets the new version to use, for example?

Control isn't about ISO 9001 or any requirement to comply. It's about Management demonstrating control over the things they consider important, so people get a single, accurate and approved "message"...

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

In my company we use the attached housekeeping checklist. The question recently came up whether or not this checklist needs to be a controlled document. I am leaning towards not as I don't feel it directly affects our customer’s product or our process.

In addition to what Jennifer said, I would like to ask what your document control procedure states and how you ensure the maintenance of this check list, if it is still current or not:bigwave:

S

silentrunning

Welcome Chris. I tend to think that this should be controlled. You say that it doesn't directly affect your process, but I see lots of verbs in there that make it seem like a process - "removed, stored, returned, rolled, etc. These items may not be specifically called out in your procedures, but they sure seem to be a process.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource

Is this something Management want to have implemented? If so, control it! Control is about having it approved for use, so that people see Management are serious about implementing it. If someone's got an improvement, how are you going to ensure that everyone gets the new version to use, for example?

Control isn't about ISO 9001 or any requirement to comply. It's about Management demonstrating control over the things they consider important, so people get a single, accurate and approved "message"...

:mg: Eeeek!
I think that's the very first thing I've seen AndyN post that I thought "Wow, no way!"

Note: We're not in the area of Right-Wrong here...but in the area of preference...so take it for what it is.

I would much rather send the message by explanation and example than by approved document.
The controlled document approach strikes me initially as replacing MBWA and leading by example with Management by Document...something I work hard to avoid every day.

If someone in the work cell comes up with the great idea that people should also turn out the lights...darn if I want to revise a document to add that into the list.
As the OP states, this doesn't affect product...it is a management preference...leave it to the direct manager to get it done.

If I (the manager) then fall down on that responsibility, it doesn't belong in an internal audit, it belongs in my performance review. Keep the housekeeping checklist out of the document system...what a waste that would be.

Obviously, opinions vary...that's where the OP came from, after all.

AndyN

Moved On
I believe Doug has it. This looks like a 5 S checklist, which def. does impact product and process - if you fully understand the technique's application to the workplace and the impact on product and process controls!

It doesn't look like some 'ad hoc' activity, instead, reading like something similar to standard work - which is, after all, at the heart of management systems. Management are paying people to do this, so that checklist should be approved for use, distributed, etc.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I have two simple criteria:

1. Can you afford to lose the document?

2. Do you permit people to mess with it?

If any of the answers is NO,then CONTROL IT!

Stijloor.

Top Bottom