Does AS9100 Certificate include ISO 9001 Certification?

G

GRISHAG

Our company is AS9100 certified.
Additionally, we pay to certification body for issuing of ISO 9001:2008 certificate (we get it automatically as a result of AS9100 certification).
Please let me know if AS9100 certificate includes ISO 9001 certification, or we are obligated to have ISO 9001 separately?

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Additionally, we pay to certification body for issuing of ISO 9001:2008 certificate (we get it automatically as a result of AS9100 certification).
Please let me know if AS9100 certificate includes ISO 9001 certification, or we are obligated to have ISO 9001 separately?

If your system is AS9100C certified, you are automatically ISO 9001:2008 certified for the scope and locations listed on the certificate.

G

GRISHAG

Thank you for response.
Please let me know what is the source for your answer (your statement based on written directive)?

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thank you for response.
Please let me know what is the source for your answer (your statement based on written directive)?

Top of first page AS9100C

RATIONALE
This standard has been revised to incorporate the requirements of ISO 9001:2008. In addition, industry requirements, definitions and notes have been revised and additional requirements have been included in response to stakeholder needs.

AndyN

Moved On

Some CBs may charge you for the ISO 9001 Certificate. Is that what you are asking about? Are you being charged for an ISO 9001 certificate as well as an AS 9100 cert? There is no need for an additional audit for ISO 9001.

Reactions: Joy

RCW

Going through this process right now.
ISO9001 will be included on your AS9100 certificate BUT the scope of your ISO9001 will be against what aviation, space, and/or defense scope that is defined for your AS9100 certification.

Example: If you make airplane parts and also parts for bicycles (non-military?) you cannot claim that your ISO9001 certificate is applicable for your bicycle business. It is only applicable against your airplane parts business, if they are even looking for ISO9001 certification.

I wanted to to have my AS9100/ISO9001 cert reference my scope as "......as applicable to aerospace and industrial applications." Even though the auditor submitted it as such, the home office later rejected this saying I can't include the "and industrial applications".

All this being said, you can get an ISO9001 certificate from your registar but they will have to add additional time (& cost) to your audit to account for the ISO9001 auditing activity.

J

Joy

This is the requirement from AS9104-1

8.6 Issuance of Certificates

In addition to certification documentation requirements stated in ISO/IEC 17021 and applicable IAF
mandatory documents, certificates issued by an AQMS accredited CB shall, at a minimum, contain
statements that address the requirements referenced in Appendix B and the following concepts:

a) Conformity of the organization?s quality management system to the requirements of ISO 9001
and/or the applicable AQMS standard(s) version (e.g., AS9100, prEN9110), including the revision
level of the standard(s).

I had few experiences in past where the sales guy from the CBs could manage to convince the client to have a separate certification through separate audit (of course separate payment).The sales persons normally convince more effectively.So,when I tried to explain the clients they did not believe me.In some countries, for tender requirements ISO 9001 certification is to be met and in such cases it becomes easy for sales team as the tendering authorities do not understand AS9100.This Forum always tries to help the people and most posts are honest and informative even then people get cheated.

Big Jim

Admin
I have helped several clients become registered using a dual scope statement. For example:

The requirements of AS9100C apply to projects where customers require AS9100C to be applied by contract and included manufacturing of machined parts for the aircraft, space, and defense industries.

The requirements of ISO 9001:2008 apply to projects that do not require AS9100C by contract and include manufacturing of machined parts to the bicycle and automotive aftermarket industries.

Further, I call on clients whose registrars do not require anything special in the scope statement and have a divided shop that works on projects for aerospace and applies AS9100C to certain areas of the shop and applies ISO 9001:2008 to the rest of the shop. They use different colored travelers.

It is all in how you handle things with the registrar, and may require engaging them in conversation, not just accepting a judgement that may not have been well thought through.

RCW

The requirements of AS9100C apply to projects where customers require AS9100C to be applied by contract and included manufacturing of machined parts for the aircraft, space, and defense industries.

The requirements of ISO 9001:2008 apply to projects that do not require AS9100C by contract and include manufacturing of machined parts to the bicycle and automotive aftermarket industries.

Big Jim,

So something similar to as stated above would be on your client's AS9100/ISO9001 certificate?

After thinking about a while, what use is an ISO9001 certification to an aerospace supplier when they have an AS9100 certification?

My audit package is in review at my registrar. When they come back to verify the scope I want on certificate I will bring this matter up with them.

Big Jim

Admin
Big Jim,

So something similar to as stated above would be on your client's AS9100/ISO9001 certificate?

After thinking about a while, what use is an ISO9001 certification to an aerospace supplier when they have an AS9100 certification?

My audit package is in review at my registrar. When they come back to verify the scope I want on certificate I will bring this matter up with them.

Yes, but it may have been a bit briefer.

Top Bottom