Hyperlinks in Microsoft Excel and Word - Linking Documents

D

dbulak

I am running Microsoft Excel and have successfully hyperlinked to documents in Microsoft Word. Is it possible once I am in Microsoft Word to hyperlink or go back to the original document in Excel? I have checked the "help" in both and have come up with nothing. Can this really be done? or am I asking to much?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
To add a hyperlink in Word, type Ctrl-K or from the menu Instert > Hyperlink. This should open a dialog box allowing you to browse to the file you want to link to.

M

M Greenaway

Another way.

Open the 'Web' toolbar (View - Toolbars - Web) in Word.

Then when you hyperlink into word you can just hit the 'back' button (back arrow) on the web toolbar.

D

D.Scott

Pressing the <Alt> - <Tab> keys together will toggle your active window with the one previously viewed. If you are in Word and hyperlink to Excel then want to go back to Word, just press the <Alt> / <Tab> combination. If you wanted to return to Word and close the Excel hyperlink, just close the Excel document with the "X" in the upper corner. Your Word document will still be there.

Good to see you M.G.

Dave

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Heh, looks like your alt and tab didn't quite show up in your post. Must be an HTML thing...

D

D.Scott

Hmmmmm. Thanks Howste - you are right it doesn't work too well if you don't press ALT and TAB.

Thanks for catching that.

Dave

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
D.Scott said:
Hmmmmm. Thanks Howste - you are right it doesn't work too well if you don't press ALT and TAB.

Thanks for catching that.

Dave
Putting carets (>) "right" or (<) "left" [reverse order, left caret first, then right caret on other side of text to be hidden, of course] around any text makes it invisible in html.

That's why it usually pays to look at the preview closely before submitting the post. Dave's original post (reading source code) had the Alt-Tab, but with the carets on either side of "Alt" and "Tab" which hid them in html.

D

db

I double click, to highlight the word, then right click and go to hyperlink. BTW, I think hyperlinking is one of the greatest things in document control for electronic systems. In fact, I know of many companies that have set up their entire system in html. It can be made attractive (and easy) enough so everyone will use it.

G

Greg B

Hi Guys,

I don't know if anyone has actually ansered the question properly. I understand that we want to make a document andf hyperlink between it and another document and back again. If this is so follow the tipe below:

In Excel right click on a selected (highlighted) phrase, picture etc and a then select 'hyperlink' from the drop down menu.
'Browse' for the the 'File' or document you want to hyperlink to then selct O.K.

Select the hyperlink on the excel file and this will take you to the selected document, in this case the word document you wanted.

Type a phrase or select a drawing, arrow, photo etc and right click to bring up the drop down menu and again select hyperlink. Follow the same steps as you did to get from the excele file to the word file. Now each time you selct the highlighted phrases etc you will move to the other document.

The simplest method of highlighting the Hyperlink is by using the other documents name as the link in your text. I use hyperlinking all of the time and now that I have PDF writer I will be investigating the new Bookmark tool they have in the index to hyperlink between pages of large documents etc.

I hope this helps

Greg B

A

allen ml - 2007

Maybe I'm reading dbulak's post wrong...but what I'm hearing is this:

Would clicking on the link to the Word file...then clicking on the link back to the Excel file take you back to the original Excel file? or open up another instance of the Excel file in question?

I'm tempted to believe it will try to reload the same Excel spreadsheet again, that is...if the Word Document points its address to the filepath for the Excel file (and vice versa). If this is the case, if any changes happened to the Excel file during this process...you'd have to save it and click the links again to show the updated Excel spreadsheet. :frust:

Now I'm beginning to wonder myself... :biglaugh:

Top Bottom