Microsoft to push out XP patch on March Patch Tuesday - 2014

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
OK Windows XP Users, what are you going to do??

Go to Windows 7? Windows 8? Windows 8.1? Windows 365?

Share your plans with us....

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
OK Windows XP Users, what are you going to do??

Go to Windows 7? Windows 8? Windows 8.1? Windows 365?

Share your plans with us....

I don't want to talk about it. I love my XP. All my home computers have XP.

That being said, I will try and get the most recent version available to maximize my time with it. I use Windows 7 at work (very good OS, I like it very much) and I've heard good things about 8.1.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I don't want to talk about it. I love my XP. All my home computers have XP.

That being said, I will try and get the most recent version available to maximize my time with it. I use Windows 7 at work (very good OS, I like it very much) and I've heard good things about 8.1.

We are faced with the same problem. All XP, except my laptop which is Windows 7.

Time to say goodbye and carry the stuff to the recycling center... :(

Michael_M

Maybe I have been out of computers too long, but why do we need up upgrade? If the computer functions then I say stick with XP. If there is a security hole, then that security hole has existed for a long while.

If you buy a new machine (from mail order) some have the option of buying the computer with Windows 7 or 8.1. My wife just bought a new computer for home and we had the option of ordering it with Windows 7 or 8.1 (she choose Windows 7)

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Maybe I have been out of computers too long, but why do we need up upgrade? If the computer functions then I say stick with XP. If there is a security hole, then that security hole has existed for a long while.

If you buy a new machine (from mail order) some have the option of buying the computer with Windows 7 or 8.1. My wife just bought a new computer for home and we had the option of ordering it with Windows 7 or 8.1 (she choose Windows 7)

From the Windows website:

If you continue to use Windows XP after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter greater numbers of apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.

So it basically comes down to 1) degradation of compatibility over time and 2) the impact of future advancements in both hardware and software components. Like an old vintage car, after some time even the most common parts will not be as readily available, or even reliable.

And with the multitude of security vulnerabilities out there these days, the further out you continue to use an outdated Windows OS, it would be like the equivalent of rolling the dice in Vegas and trying to avoid the dreaded "7". Eventually the house will win....

Brian :rolleyes:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
One thing to keep in mind is that older hardware might have trouble with newer Windows versions. If you have a ten-year-old XP machine, you might not be able to get compatible motherboard drivers.

I built a new desktop in November of 2012, right when Windows 8 was released and MS was selling the upgrade version Pro for $49.95, so I figured I might as well. Now on 8.1 and everything's good.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Top Bottom