Definition Special Processes - Can anyone give me a definition of what a Special Process is?

D

dbzman

Can anyone give me a good definition of what "Special Processes" are?

Examples?

Thanks!

:mg:

A

AllanJ

dbzman said:
Can anyone give me a good definition of what "Special Processes" are?

Examples?

Thanks!

:mg:
This has been raised in another thread dealing with "Soldering" as a so-called "special process".

I have always held the view there is no such thing according to the way "Special processes" were always described in the old Q standards such as ansi N 45.2 etc. I have yet to come across any process that cannot be verified/ validated by some means or other.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Defining 'Special Processes'

Also see: Special Processes - Can someone help us with a definition?

Short Definition:

Special processes are those which cannot be verified after the process without destructive testing.

Summary: A special process is any production or service process which generates products or services which cannot be measured, monitored, or verified prior to delivery and use.

I suggest you do an 'Advanced' search in the forums and choose the 'Search Titles Only' option. Use the terms SPECIAL and PROCESS, and then SPECIAL and PROCESSES.

There are several quite detailed threads here on what special processes are. My 'litmus test' has always been 'a special process is any process which cannot be validated without destructive testing'

Last edited:

Antonio Vieira

Involved - Posts
Trusted Information Resource
7.5.2 “The organization shall validate any processes for production and service provision where the resulting output cannot be verified by subsequent monitoring or measurement. This includes any processes where deficiencies become apparent only after the product is in use or the service has been delivered”

There are lots of services in which the output cannot be easily verified.

One good example of “special process” is all the services that interact with the customer. The face-to-face interactions with customers we have in a bank or a store clerk should be done under “special controls”.

Don’t you agree? :)

AV

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Marc said:
My 'litmus test' has always been 'a special process is any process which cannot be validated without destructive testing'
That's how I always thought of it too. So you have to monitor the process because you can only verify the product by destroying it. As in the case of weld pulls - you're only going to destroy a few pieces per shift, so you monitor temperature, pressure and cycle time in between pull tests. The acceptable heat, pressure and cycle time having been determined during validation of the process.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
António Vieira said:
7.5.2 “The organization shall validate any processes for production and service provision where the resulting output cannot be verified by subsequent monitoring or measurement. This includes any processes where deficiencies become apparent only after the product is in use or the service has been delivered”

Antonio hit the nail on the head!!

K

kapoor

Special process

A process for which end results could not be checked without Destructive testing is called special process.
e.g. Welding, Die casting, painting etc.

D

dbzman

Thanks!

Thanks everyone.

The help that I get on the Cove is great!

Thanks again!!!!

:agree1:

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

kapoor said:
A process for which end results could not be checked without Destructive testing is called special process.
e.g. Welding, Die casting, painting etc.
I guess I need to question "Die casting" (or at least get clarification). To lump it as a special process doesn't seem to make sense to me. Yes, if there is a tensile or compression type of requirement on the part, destructive testing is required and it would, by "definition", be a special process. But the vast majority of requirements (at least on our components) can be measured with the "usual" types of gaging.

So - am I saying a process can be both "normal" and "special"? (Way to early to wrestle with myself today - need more coffee)

Top Bottom