Responsibility and Authority in a QMS - Approval of Supplier Accreditation

R

Rakeru

Hi everyone!

The truth is I have a different question and I just dont know how to raise it in here because I am just new in using this site..

Anyway, if you could just help me understand some things, please help me so. The problem is, Is it okay to let somebody outside from ones area do the approval of other sections responsibility? The specific example is, the Head of Administration wanted to do the Approval of Suppliers accreditation which is part of the Purchasing section. But this move is being dictated by the General Manager. For me, this is not right. What can you say about this?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove. :agree1:

As to your question, you should have responsibility and authority for approvals documented in your system, and your dilemma is the reason for that. It's difficult for anyone here to know who should be doing approvals because we don't know anything about your company's administrative hierarchy and potential political issues. If it's not clear who has responsibility and authority for process or document approvals, that's something you need to get established.

R

Rakeru

Re: Are Job Descriptions and Organizational Charts Controlled Documents?

to Jim Wynne,

Thanks for your feedback.

The truth is we have clear procedure for Purchasing matters and clearly the approvals will come from Purchasing Supervisor. As for the Administration responsibility, the approval of Suppliers Accreditation is not included in its resposibility. But now suddenly the General Manager is appointing him(the Admin Manager) the right to approved Suppliers Accreditation. I want to disagree with our General Manager but is that wise to do so. Or should I suggest that this Administrative Manager must be part of the Purchasing group to be able to do the approval.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
...we have clear procedure for Purchasing matters and clearly the approvals will come from Purchasing Supervisor. As for the Administration responsibility, the approval of Suppliers Accreditation is not included in its resposibility.

But now suddenly the General Manager is appointing him(the Admin Manager) the right to approved Suppliers Accreditation.

I want to disagree with our General Manager but is that wise to do so. Or should I suggest that this Administrative Manager must be part of the Purchasing group to be able to do the approval.

If you have a reason to disagree with the GM, then you should bring that reason to his attention. It's likely he'll be grateful for your contribution.

Do keep in mind that (1) the supplier selection process and purchasing process may be two different processes, (2) the "purchasing group" is not the same as the purchasing process, and (3) the existing procedure can be easily changed.

Good luck!

somashekar

Leader
Admin
to Jim Wynne,

Thanks for your feedback.

The truth is we have clear procedure for Purchasing matters and clearly the approvals will come from Purchasing Supervisor. As for the Administration responsibility, the approval of Suppliers Accreditation is not included in its resposibility. But now suddenly the General Manager is appointing him(the Admin Manager) the right to approved Suppliers Accreditation. I want to disagree with our General Manager but is that wise to do so. Or should I suggest that this Administrative Manager must be part of the Purchasing group to be able to do the approval.
Your GM would have his valid reason as to why he wants the Admin manager get involved into this purchasing process. You may find out that with a one to one with your GM. However it is clear that the Admin manager would need a lot of inputs from purchasing supervisor and consider them as well and ask any more details that he deems fit based on his experience and qualification and directions given by the GM.
If the management so desires, why not include the Authority of Suppliers Accreditation to the Admin manager which is based on the responsibility and details provided by your purchasing supervisor.
Your disagreement will go once you understand your GM's views as I feel.
For me, this is not right. What can you say about this?
Nothing is right or wrong in business based on once perception. It is a matter of what works well for the management, and management can always change views based on progress. Multiple responsibilities are possible and are effectively performed. Flow with the management thought and provide necessary inputs to make it work better.
Good luck ~~~

R

Rakeru

:truce::truce:
Your GM would have his valid reason as to why he wants the Admin manager get involved into this purchasing process. You may find out that with a one to one with your GM. However it is clear that the Admin manager would need a lot of inputs from purchasing supervisor and consider them as well and ask any more details that he deems fit based on his experience and qualification and directions given by the GM.
If the management so desires, why not include the Authority of Suppliers Accreditation to the Admin manager which is based on the responsibility and details provided by your purchasing supervisor.
Your disagreement will go once you understand your GM's views as I feel.

Nothing is right or wrong in business based on once perception. It is a matter of what works well for the management, and management can always change views based on progress. Multiple responsibilities are possible and are effectively performed. Flow with the management thought and provide necessary inputs to make it work better.
Good luck ~~~

:thanx:
Thanks for the input. Now I can understand the situation in a different perspective. As I can realize my understanding on the matter is really limited.

Top Bottom