Is it required to have first AS9100 before obtaining Nadcap?

A

abomonther

Hi friends,

My company provides MRO services and the company is planning to produce some aircraft parts. So we are looking to be AS9110 & Nadcap accredited. Is it required to have first AS9100 before obtaining Nadcap. I believe the scope of 9110 is wider than AS9100.

Appreciate an early response.

Thanks in advance.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Who is driving you to get AS9100, AS9110 and or NADCAP.

NADCAP is a stand alone specific requirement for a special process

SO... go get the checklist from the website and talk to management to see how you guys want to handled it.

Quote from PRI = http :// pri-network .org/ nadcap/ about-nadcap/ - DEAD LINK REMOVED.

"The Aerospace Quality Systems Task Group recognizes the industry developed Aerospace Quality Systems standard AS/EN/JISQ9100 and AS/EN9110. In, addition, Nadcap recognizes ISO 17025 for testing laboratories, including nondestructive testing laboratories. The ISO 17025 scope of accreditation must cover the Nadcap scope of accreditation and be from an approved NACLA / ILAC accreditation body.

Suppliers who have an AS/EN/JISQ9100 or AS/EN9110 registration / certification from an IAQG approved Registration / Certification body, as listed on the IAQG Oasis website, or an ISO 17025 accreditation approved by NACLA / ILAC do not require an additional quality systems audit through Nadcap. (See NOP-002)"

read: NADCAP Standard - What is NADCAP and its Requirements?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MTProcessing

You can get the certifications in any order that works for your company.

If you decide to get the Nadcap certification first, you will have to have a Nadcap quality audit as part of your Nadcap process audit. The Nadcap quality audit adds one day to the audit, and the same auditor does both. The Nadcap quality certification is for three years, although our company's first quality certification was only approved for one year (not sure how common this is on initial certs) - we got the three year approval the second time around.

J

Jeff Frost

If you obtain AS/EN 9110 before NADCAP audit you should be fine. 9110 is not the same as 9100 because it is tailored for maintenance repair and overhaul (MRO) and not equipment manufacturer (9100). If you do not have 9110, then you must first pass a NADCAP AC7004 quality system audit prior to the performance of process certification audit.

First step it to go to NADCAP website and then register on eAuditNet to obtain audit check list for maintenance repair and overhaul (MRO) and then submit a NADCAP preliminary questionnaire. Your organization must remember there is only one way to obtain NADCAP certification, compliance to their requirements.

A

abomonther

I appreciate your participation to respond to my inquiry. I found in a presentation ( Nadcap Customer Support Initiative (NCSI) for Newcomers) says :
" Nadcap recognized quality systems approvals:
? AS/EN/JISQ 9100 and AS/EN 9110 quality system approvals performed by
approved registrars - listed in the IAQG OASIS database .
Some Product groups require AS9100. "

At the begging I thought AS9110 is recognized by Nadcap as approved quality system since it is part of AS9100 family, but I got confused because of the last sentence in the above quotation which says we may require AS9100 in some products groups.

Does anyone knows which Product groups require AS9100???

I really appreciate your response to my first post thanks a lot to you all.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I appreciate your participation to respond to my inquiry. I found in a presentation ( Nadcap Customer Support Initiative (NCSI) for Newcomers) says :
" Nadcap recognized quality systems approvals:
? AS/EN/JISQ 9100 and AS/EN 9110 quality system approvals performed by
approved registrars - listed in the IAQG OASIS database .
Some Product groups require AS9100. "

At the begging I thought AS9110 is recognized by Nadcap as approved quality system since it is part of AS9100 family, but I got confused because of the last sentence in the above quotation which says we may require AS9100 in some products groups.

Does anyone knows which Product groups require AS9100???

I really appreciate your response to my first post thanks a lot to you all.

You missed the first question for post #2.

NADCAP is customer driven. Meaning one customer requires NADCAP (Honeywell is the biggest advocate for NADCAP) while another customer won't needed it for the same product.

Remember, customers are looking for the best quality into their product... the issue becomes interesting when you ask them how much are they willing to pay for that quality. Hence, NADCAP has a price and the customer will let you you what is need it.

Hope this helps.

Big Jim

Admin
It is worth noting that you will need to have a quality management system in place to obtain NADCAP. AC7004 is sometimes called "AS9100 Lite". It has some portions of AS9100 removed, but still has more than ISO 9001.

Customers that truly want you to have an effective quality management system will not be satisfied with AC7004. They are not so much disturbed with the content as they are with how it is administered, by just tacking on an additional day to your NADCAP audit.

You don't want AS9110 unless you are an FAA repair station. That is what it is oriented for, and includes many things that don't fit a manufacturing organization.

If you are not already aware, NADCAP is very different from AS9100. AS9100 is a quality management system that involves the management of the whole company. Sure, it requires certain things for production control, such as first article inspection, making sure that production takes place under controlled conditions, maintaining traceability when required, and so on, but it isn't anything like NADCAP. NADCAP is manufacturing process specific. For example it you seek accreditation (not certification) for a plating operation, you will be audited to how well you follow the details to ensure the plating comes out right.

There are costs involved with obtaining and holding NADCAP accreditation, and you will need to pass them on to your customers (or go broke). Customers who don't see the need will not want to pay, but you really don't have a choice, as you need to recoup those costs.

All of my AS9100 clients that also have NADCAP tell me that NADCAP auditing is much more strict, and that it is uncommon to pass on your first and often even your second audit.

Don't go into it blindly. AS9100 may be all you really need. Find out what your potential customers want and expect.

Q

QA_Newbie2000

I agree with Big Jim...you need to know what your customers expect and what services you plan to deliver.
NADCAP is a special process accreditation. If you aren't providing this as a service you may not need accreditation. Paint for example - if you are going to paint for somebody else, your customer may require NADCAP. However if you plan to paint your own product, the control of your internal special processes can be handled by your AS9100 certification

Good luck

Top Bottom