Windows XP support ends today (April 8, 2014)

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
As most of you are aware, extended support for the Windows XP operating system is set to end today....

In case you are curious, here is a link from the Microsoft website that will inform you of when support (mainstream and extended) and OEM sales will end for each version of the Windows OS that is still relevant.

Brian :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The best thing that XP users can do (other than updating to a new OS) is to stop using Internet Explorer. The current version is 11, and XP can't use anything after version 8, and that's where a lot of the vulnerability will lie. Chrome, Firefox and Opera are all free and much less vulnerable to attack than IE8.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
The best thing that XP users can do (other than updating to a new OS) is to stop using Internet Explorer. The current version is 11, and XP can't use anything after version 8, and that's where a lot of the vulnerability will lie. Chrome, Firefox and Opera are all free and much less vulnerable to attack than IE8.

Funny....our workplace uses a shop floor control (SFC) system that I was told (by our IT manager) is most compatible with IE. As it stands today, our computers are still running on XP, but we are supposedly in the process of migrating to Windows 7 (I hope soon but I heard at least another month or so). And I was recently told (by this same person) that I was not to encourage others to use any other browsers - even for activities that did not relate to the SFC - because of "security vulnerabilities". But I guess when your SFC system is designed and controlled so that users can directly access batch files, the meaning of "security vulnerabilities" then becomes relative depending on one's perspective.

Having said that, I am using Firefox anyways because my activities do not involve working with our SFC (thankfully).

Brian :rolleyes:

Top Bottom