AS9100C Work Instruction Clarification - How detailed should a Work Instruction be?

T

tqual

This may seem like a ridiculous question but could anyone tell me how detailed should a typical work instruction be? I'm having a hard time trying to find information on this anywhere. There seem to be certain instances within my organization where too much detail could seem excessive when written in a work instruction.

For example, Lets take a work instruction for "Shipping completed product to a Customer". If a have 10 different customers who all have slightly different requests about what type of shipping documentation they would like included in their shipment, do I have to include all this in the instruction or can I simply say "Enclose appropriate shipping documentation when packaging." in the work instruction and train my shipping personnel on the subtle differences. Shipping personnel keeps training notes on each different scenario currently.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: AS9100C Work Instruction clarification

This may seem like a ridiculous question but could anyone tell me how detailed should a typical work instruction be? I'm having a hard time trying to find information on this anywhere. There seem to be certain instances within my organization where too much detail could seem excessive when written in a work instruction.

For example, Lets take a work instruction for "Shipping completed product to a Customer". If a have 10 different customers who all have slightly different requests about what type of shipping documentation they would like included in their shipment, do I have to include all this in the instruction or can I simply say "Enclose appropriate shipping documentation when packaging." in the work instruction and train my shipping personnel on the subtle differences. Shipping personnel keeps training notes on each different scenario currently.

Yes you can!

Stijloor.

T

tqual

Thank you Stijloor.
So basically then I don't have to go into that much detail in my work instructions and the employees keeping training notes for the exorbitant details is acceptable.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thank you Stijloor.
So basically then I don't have to go into that much detail in my work instructions and the employees keeping training notes for the exorbitant details is acceptable.

What many people forget is that Work Instructions are written for Employees and will help them to be:
  • Safe,
  • Effective, and
  • Efficient.
The level of WI detail depends entirely on their current competency and complexity of the tasks to be performed. The Supervisor and/or Manager must verify that they are able to perform the work as required. That review of competency is often ignored.

Stijloor.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource

I will be the first to state I don't know the requirements of AS9100, but I thought 'hand written' or personal notes were not acceptable as work instructions (unless everyone has access to the same set of instructions)?

Could these training notes not be part of the work instructions?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I will be the first to state I don't know the requirements of AS9100, but I thought 'hand written' or personal notes were not acceptable as work instructions (unless everyone has access to the same set of instructions)?

Could these training notes not be part of the work instructions?

When the notes are a shared resource, you should include them in the WI.
Nothing wrong with having some personal notes for personal use.

Aerospace folks; comments?

Stijloor.

howste

Thaumaturge

Stijloor.

AS9100 has the same requirements in this regard as ISO 9001.

T

tqual

The training notes in question are simply notes taken by the personnel trained or the person performing the training on the work instruction to further elaborate on content covered in the work instruction for their personal use.

Mikishots

Stijloor.

Agreed. As long as the requirements of the work instruction are met, any other form of notes or aids used to help satisfy those requirements are fine, especially if they increase efficiency.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: AS9100C Work Instruction Clarification - How detailed should a Work Instruction b

Pictures and samples are also effective (reference Material)

Top Bottom