Remember Ford/Firestone? Has anything really changed because of this?

A

Alf Gulford

My department just got moved about 50 feet so that means I had to clean up my desk. In doing that I ran across an old Quality Progress magazine from 12/00 that covered the Ford/Firestone debacle.

This magazine, just like every other magazine and newspaper in the country, was shouting about 'Quality on Trial,' ISO 9001, QS 9000, internal audits, ethics, etc., etc., etc.

The fact is, until I saw this I had almost forgotten about the whole situation - and I drive a Ford truck with Firestone tires!

With all the publicity, screaming, finger-pointing and endless debates, what was the net result? What was gained? What lessons have we learned? How has 'quality' really been affected? I recall that the Bridgestone CEO stepped down, and I've read that Nassar has left Ford, but other than corporate changes:

Has anything really changed because of this?

Just a question to folks that (must) see more of the world than I do.

Alf

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think that this made some Quality awareness, but more than likely not much change. I believe the key issues are: Was Ford aware of potential problems early(from other areas)? Did Ford know that they had received tires for use that had rusted belts (as reported)? Can Firestone produce a signed Deviation/Waiver from Ford (have not heard much on this area)? Why are Ford and Firestone not suing each other? (if both say they are not to blame) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A

Al Dyer

Reminds me of an old "B" movie called War Of The Gargantuans. Does anybody really think the likes of Firestone, Federal Mogul, TRW, etc... really care about a certificate from an organization they could buy 50 times over?

Call me soured!:confused:

E

energy

Why should anybody?

Absolutely on the mark. It doesn't matter to them. If they can gloss over it because of their $, why is it important to the rest of us? Would that be to suggest that it's your standing in the Market Place that justifies the pursuit and adherence to the coveted label of "Compliance" to any standard? It sickens me, too. Maybe we just don't have the "Big Picture". That phrase is often used to explain the unexplainable to us "little picture" viewers. To quote Randy, "BullFrittersWhiskersStuff":bigwave: :smokin:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Any contemporary comments on whether there were any lasting effects from the Ford/Firestone dabacle?

J

Jim Howe

tire recalls

As an old Firestone employee (63 to 81) I recall several tire recalls. Anyone remember the most devasting of all? Try the Firestone Radial 500 which I believe was back in the 70's and as I recall was caused by rusty steel belts. This recall was ordered by the US Government and was fought by Firestone for several months if not years before agreeing to the recall. If I remember correctly it was several million or so tires. The company never regained there strength and slowly lost market share.
So the answer is a resounding NO! Nothing has been learned. Here we are 30+ years later with the same problems. Rusty belts and tire recalls with alot of finger pointing.

Top Bottom