Go / No Go Pins - Verification question

M

MEDQA

Hello -

I am seeking an educated confirmation that I understand the process of verifying go / No Go pins.

Using Class Z pins (+.0025mm / -.0025mm) as a reference.

A .250mm GO pin must be between .250 & .2525 (+.0025mm / - 0mm)?

A .250mm NO GO pin must be between .2475 & .250 (+0 / -.0025)?

A standard or master .250mm pin with bilateral tolerance must be between .2475 & .2525 (+.0025mm / .0025mm)?

I believe some of our verification / calibration records are wrong in that a GO pin and a NO-GO pin reference a bilateral tolerance when I believe they should be a shown above. The pins are measuring where correctly.

thank you

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Go / No Go Verification question

Hello -

I am seeking an educated confirmation that I understand the process of verifying go / No Go pins.

Using Class Z pins (+.0025mm / -.0025mm) as a reference.

A .250mm GO pin must be between .250 & .2525 (+.0025mm / - 0mm)?

A .250mm NO GO pin must be between .2475 & .250 (+0 / -.0025)?

A standard or master .250mm pin with bilateral tolerance must be between .2475 & .2525 (+.0025mm / .0025mm)?

I believe some of our verification / calibration records are wrong in that a GO pin and a NO-GO pin reference a bilateral tolerance when I believe they should be a shown above. The pins are measuring where correctly.

thank you

In general, gage pins are sold as either "plus" or "minus" with regard to nominal size. A Class Z .250mm "plus" pin will be .2525mm, while a "minus" pin will be .2475mm. The primary reason for this is that if you are checking a hole with (for example) a lower tolerance limit of .250mm, a pin that's exactly sized at .250 won't fit if the hole is in fact at the low limit. This means parts that meet the specification will be rejected.

A

aliasJohnQ

And when checking the pin gages, check with a master micrometer within your company or have it checked by a knowledgable company.
When using a master mic, make sure it's a master=being capable of at least twice the measurement as you are seeking.
One company I was working at a few years ago, with several individuals involved, couldn't save their lives with just trying to grasp the concept of this including the Quality Manager. And this is a medical device company where you need to know what your doing!

M

MEDQA

In general, gage pins are sold as either "plus" or "minus" with regard to nominal size. A Class Z .250mm "plus" pin will be .2525mm, while a "minus" pin will be .2475mm. The primary reason for this is that if you are checking a hole with (for example) a lower tolerance limit of .250mm, a pin that's exactly sized at .250 won't fit if the hole is in fact at the low limit. This means parts that meet the specification will be rejected.

So I am correct, what is recorded for the go or plus pin must be between .250 & .2525, not 2475 & .2525?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

So I am correct, what is recorded for the go or plus pin must be between .250 & .2525, not 2475 & .2525?

I don't know whether you're dealing with "plus" or "minus" pins, or what your company's requirements are. The tolerance or acceptability of a gage pin should be based on the tolerances of the things it's used to verify.

Top Bottom