Looking for a "User Friendly" calibration system software package

D

Dragonfly

I am planning to begin a claibration program at work and wanted to know if anyone has suggestions for a "user friendly" software program.

My research has brought me to a program "Calibration System Software - Calibro" Which seems like it would be easy enough.. but that's what I am afraid of. The ID for the one I am looking at is CLBR-V1.2-XLS If you have it and like / hate / use it let me know what your thoughts are on it.

I want to make sure what I purchase will do everything required since we we're planning to mirror the ISO 9001:2000 Standard. (not going for certification at the moment, but preparing to just in case)

So anyways if you have a "favorite" you'd like to share please do so and tell me why you like it, (features, etc.) maybe I will be able to get a better idea of what to buy with your help.

Appreciate it and have a great day! Ree

:thanx:

BradM

Leader
Admin
A calibration program on 3x5 cards is very effective!:lol: Seriously, depending on how many instruments you have in the system, an Excel spreadsheet can be a very powerful but simple-to-use application.

I would say, though, after the program grows to a certain level, it can get a bit cumbersome working in Excel.

What are desiring to do? If it is simply keeping track of instruments, Excel works pretty well. If you want to get into reports, calculations, etc., then there are other programs that may suit you well. Like you probably know, the more bells and whistles, the more involved it is learning.

Excel and Access is on most of your computers, most know how to use it, and you don't have to worry about upgrades, specialized training, etc.

If you feel you want more sophisticated programs and you have some wants/needs, then we can explore some other packages.

Good question.:agree1:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I used to manage calibration of over 350 tools on large index cards. It went fine, but those cards didn't whack me upside the head when a tool went overdue.

I also used GageTrak. It worked well, and was easy to understand.

Excel also works, especially since it can be programmed to do things like turn a cell yellow or red when due dates come close or go by.

F

Fencick

Good morning,

I've been reading these forums for quite some time, but have not had the pleasure of posting before.

I've set up and ran a few different versions of calibration software, from excel to access to canned packages. Personally, I prefer access, however, if a canned package is needed, the easiest that I’ve seen, to install and use without hassle is from is GagePack PQsystems.

I cannot post a link yet.

GAGEpack

I’m in no way affiliated with any software firm.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Good morning,

I've been reading these forums for quite some time, but have not had the pleasure of posting before.

I've set up and ran a few different versions of calibration software, from excel to access to canned packages. Personally, I prefer access, however, if a canned package is needed, the easiest that I’ve seen, to install and use without hassle is from is GagePack PQsystems.

I cannot post a link yet.

GAGEpack

I’m in no way affiliated with any software firm.

Just my 2 cents.

Fencick, thank you for posting.:bigwave: What do you like best about GAGEpack, and what are some drawbacks about it? They're merely opinion questions, as I have never seen it.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I used to manage calibration of over 350 tools on large index cards. It went fine, but those cards didn't whack me upside the head when a tool went overdue.

I also used GageTrak. It worked well, and was easy to understand.

Excel also works, especially since it can be programmed to do things like turn a cell yellow or red when due dates come close or go by.

Hey.. I was 1/2 joking about the cards.:) Ha! I had several customers who used them. And let me tell you... they were on top of things.

Jennifer, do you recall how to have it change colors like that? I didn't know you could do that.

Last edited:
K

kmyers

Hey.. I was 1/2 joking about the cards.:) Ha! I had several customers who used them. And let me tell you... they were on top of things.

Jennifer, do you recall how to have it change colors like that? I didn't know you could do that.

I already have that question posed to Jennifer through private message. She said she will post it but it may take some time. I was unaware that could be done also.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dragonfly

Thanks for the input everyone, I am looking to just keep track of the gages, where they are / who has them and their calibration history at the moment.

I had thought of going ahead and using Excel to do that, but the program I mentioned says it will send pre-composed emails to everyone that has equipment due for calibration, and other features I thought might come in handy.
The cost is reasonable at $9.95... I guess that is why I am a hair suspicious.. anything inexpensive sends up my antenna to delve deeper.

Thanks again, I am looking foreword to seeing what more of you have to say on topic. Ree

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
One can format a cell to change colors in Excel by clicking on Cell, then Format, then Conditional Formatting, and then selecting the conditions (parameters). Up to three conditions are allowed per cell.

I have attached a Calibation Log that is designed to give the minimum information for managing inspection tools.

In the attached Calibration Log I made up quick, due date cells are formatted to turn red when calibration dates have gone by. On the main page, cells turn red and stay that way when the tool is calibrated too late. This flags the calibrationmanager to go check what the tool has been used to inspect.

There is a separate page that is formatted to collect just the numbers of tools and their due dates. In this way, one can oversee hundreds of tool due dates in a single page.

This is just the basics, and would have to be set up for different kinds of tools. But you are welcome to play with it - I do hope I set up all the formulas and formattings correctly, feel free to plug in some data of your own just to test run it.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

• Cal log.xls
    39 KB · Views: 1,944
Last edited:
Top Bottom