Suppliers Problem - One of our material suppliers is not ISO certified

L

Lincole

My company is attempting to have an ISO 9001 audit. As I found out that one of the material suppliers is not ISO certified, will this affect our auditing chance to get certified?:cfingers:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Suppliers Problem

Hi Lincole. Welcome! :bigwave:

There is no requirement that all your suppliers have to also be 9001 certified.
...Unless, of course, you yourself have specified this as a requirement in your quality procedures.

Generally, however, supplier evaluations are based on an assessment of the potential risk...and this will determine a scope for evaluations.

Very risky to your production schedule (e.g. one-of-a-kind item), or to end-users (e.g. a critical safety component)? Maybe on-site inspections are warranted.

Medium risk? Maybe you'd like to see a Quality System certification to show that they are commited to quality.

Negligable risk? Maybe just a matter of gauging their responsiveness and get a few samples to evaluate.

Ultimately, how you "approve" your suppliers is up to you, but should be documented. ...and your records should show that you've approved all your suppliers according to your procedure.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
My company is attempting to have an ISO 9001 audit. As I found out that one of the material suppliers is not ISO certified, will this affect our auditing chance to get certified?:cfingers:

Welcome to the Cove. I presume you have an ISO 9001 registration audit coming up? There is no requirement in the standard for suppliers to be certified. They must be qualified according to the criteria that your company has established. If one of those criteria is ISO 9001 registration, the fact that you have a supplier that's not registered could result in an audit nonconformity. In most cases, if it's an isolated case, it wouldn't affect your chances of getting certified.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
ISO 9001 does not require suppliers to be ISO 9001 certified.

Also see:

http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=54765 - ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process (Supplier Approval)

http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=60771 - Clarification of ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 - Supplier Evaluation

The organization shall ensure that purchased product conforms to specified purchase requirements. The type and extent of control applied to the supplier and the purchased product shall be dependent upon the effect of the purchased product on subsequent product realization or the final product.

The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply product in accordance with the organization's requirements. Criteria for selection, evaluation and re-evaluation shall be established.

Records of the results of evaluations and any necessary actions arising from the evaluation shall be maintained.

D

db

Another consideration is your customer specific requirements. If one or more of your customers require ISO registration of your suppliers, then you will have to show that the suppliers supplying product/service for that customer meet your customer requirements. Failure to do so might mean a noncompliance to 5.2 which requires ensuring customer requirements are determined and met...

L

Lincole

Wow, I love this forum! Everyone is so helpful!
All these advices have been very helpful to me. You guys are awesome.

Thanks to all of you!

B

Bjourne

Hmmm...I did not know that...

Thanks for this post I am enlightened (--beginner here). I remember a customer auditor from Dallas Semiconductor during a performance audit we had some years ago. He asked who was the supplier of our mold cleaning material (a compression type rubber cleaner) as we just started using it on our semiconductor molds to speed-up the cleaning time and if they are ISO qualified. I remember that my boss (Process Engineer - process owner) replied that the aren't. I remember the auditor continued to check all the documentation about the material and the qualification of the supplier. In the end he agreed not to count the non-ISO certified as a non-conformity but requested to draft a new set of guidelines "for non-ISO certified suppliers" to follow. I do not remember what happened after that.

If I might ask, is that correct? Is there a need to draft a separate rules/guidelines for suppliers?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
<snip> If one or more of your customers require ISO registration of your suppliers, then you will have to show that the suppliers supplying product/service for that customer meet your customer requirements. <snip>
Good point, db with consideration to a specific customer requiring suppliers related to products for that customer. A single customer can not realistically require a company to have all its suppliers ISO 9001 registered if the company makes products for other customers that are different and/or don't use all of the same materials.

I have worked with companies which required ISO 9001 registration of the company's suppliers and several of the companies had to buy some parts from ISO 9001 registered suppliers for that customer - And they charged more for it because the parts from registered suppliers (in those case) cost more.

D

db

Thanks for this post I am enlightened (--beginner here). I remember a customer auditor from Dallas Semiconductor during a performance audit we had some years ago. He asked who was the supplier of our mold cleaning material (a compression type rubber cleaner) as we just started using it on our semiconductor molds to speed-up the cleaning time and if they are ISO qualified. I remember that my boss (Process Engineer - process owner) replied that the aren't. I remember the auditor continued to check all the documentation about the material and the qualification of the supplier. In the end he agreed not to count the non-ISO certified as a non-conformity but requested to draft a new set of guidelines "for non-ISO certified suppliers" to follow. I do not remember what happened after that.

If I might ask, is that correct? Is there a need to draft a separate rules/guidelines for suppliers?

The issue here, as I see it, is a customer requirement, as opposed to an ISO requirement. As mentioned above, ISO provides a tremendous amount of flexibility on how you select and evaluate your suppliers. Customers on the other hand, tend to be more prescriptive. In my opinion, the customer may be telling you that they were not confident in your selection and evaluation process. It might have appeared to them that you were not considering the effect on the product on the process or the final product. I find this happens most often when companies don't defend their system, and then it appears wishy-washy. In your case, I think the customer wants some level of confidence that all your suppliers are looked at.

AndyN

Moved On

Thanks for this post I am enlightened (--beginner here). <snip>
I'm not sure this is what db is referring to. Having a customer auditor ask a question about "ISO" suppliers (not sure what relevance that has to mold release sprays) is not the same as having a line item in your customers' contracts/agreements to "flow down" ISO certification through the suppliers who are associated with the product you supply such customers.

Top Bottom