What is the real purpose of a Certificate of Conformance "C of C"?

• Thread starter Quality-Misfit - 2008
  • Start date
Q

Quality-Misfit - 2008

Covers,

What is the real definition and usage of a certificate of conformance?

I have always thought that is was kinda the birth certificate of a product you bought and the supplier stating that it was built by their processes, etc.. is my thinking flawed?

Thanks,
qm

C

Craig H.

Hi,

There are actually several related documents you may want to think about. There is the Certificate of Conformance ( also the Certificate of Compliance, COC) you mentioned, the Certificate of Analysis (COA), and there may be others.

Although the specifications and expectations for the product may very well be contained elsewhere, such as a purchase order or contract, these "COx" documents put the specifications and the actual attributes together and serve as a way to ensure compliance, in theory. The way our system is set up, if a lot number is used to generate a COA, and there is a parameter that is found (by the software) to be out of compliance, the COA will process no further.

Hope this helps.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
A C of C is my company saying to yours
"Our product was made in accordance with your required specifications"

It may or may not be signed by an inspection function separate from manufacturing, depending on what the customer wants.
My company calls it a "Declaration of Conformance" when QC has to sign off it and a Certificate of Conformace when manufacturing can sign off on it.

A C of A is my company saying to yours

"The material I supplied to you has been analyzed to XXX standard or procedure and here are the results:"

We are being asked more and more for specific types of EN10204 certificates rather than just a "C of C".

M

martin elliott

<snip> What is the real definition and usage of a certificate of conformance? <snip>

In europe (BS) EN 10204 defines the requirements for the content and expectation extent of a release certificates (for metallic materials).

A Certificate of Conformance is defined as a 2.1 type.

I don't have current access but as I remember it you are on the right track.

Actually in many industries the certificate of conformance, representing possiblyuntested materials, is not held in high regard

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
<snip> What is the real definition and usage of a certificate of conformance? <snip>
Samuel Goldwyn is alleged to have said, "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." Certificates of conformance, in most instances, have roughly the same legal value. In the U.S., delivery of goods against a valid contract (e.g., a purchase order) carries an implied warranty that the goods meet the terms of the contract. So having another document that states that the goods meet the terms of the contract is an unnecessary redundancy. Note that this is different from a certificate of test, or a certificate of analysis in some cases. If you are asked to provide test or analysis data relevant to the material being delivered, the document conveying the data is in effect a separate representation, and supplements the purchase order.

G

gleclair

At our company it is used to state that we processed the product to meet the specification that you requested with a 10 piece test sample results.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Not worth the time or the paper

I agree with Jim. Total waste of time. If you have purchased against a specification and the goods have been delivered you have a right to redress if the poroduct does not comply.

All a C of C is is additional paper in an already bureaucratic system. Get rid of them.

A Certificate of Analysis / Inspection has some value as it has some additional information on it about tests carried out or results achieved. Even then limited as it is information you can get on demand if you need it.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Not worth the time or the paper

Getting rid of them is easier said than done, AS9102 FAI requires C of Cs to be part of the FAI to show traceability, I could just see a source inspectors face if I told them we no longer used C of C's and therfore they aren't available. :2cents:

best regards,

al40

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Getting rid of them is easier said than done, AS9102 FAI requires C of Cs to be part of the FAI to show traceability, I could just see a source inspectors face if I told them we no longer used C of C's and therfore they aren't available. :2cents:

best regards,

al40

If a customer requires them, you have to provide them. That doesn't mean that a C of C has any other actual value, though. Customers often ask for things that aren't of any real value.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource

best regards,

al40

Again Jim is ahead of me on this one. If the customer / scheme requires them then you have to have them - and I would have to raise a nonconformity if you didn't. That doesn't take away the fact that, in themselves, they add no value.

I'd like to see that particular face as well. :lol:

Top Bottom