Mexico Job Shop - ISO 9001 Certification Planning

T

TEXASQAMAN

Hello, my first contact with The Cove! Incredible knowledge base!

I contracted to implement a QMS and prepare a job shop for ISO registration from steering committee to third party accreditation. This includes all training Leadership in process-based quality system, internal audit training, initial internal audits for QMS compliance, train a management representative, (probably the QM), conduct management review agenda and minutes, support during third party audit. I have completed this type of project with a Texas-based manufacturing company to the ISO9000:2000 accreditation with great success. (Well…any way, they got their accreditation).

I need advice on how to conduct the same project with a job shop in Mexico.
I need to outline a plan based on Mexican leadership and working social patterns. With a greater understanding of how manufacturing society morays will be different in Monterrey, Mexico, I hope to use that understanding to my advantage in this project.
I will have interpreters and I will spend one week per month at the Mexican site. l will be implementing a Lean visual management program at the same time.
Has anyone conducted this type of project in the past and what suggestions would you give?

TEXASQAMAN

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove!:bigwave:
It's an interesting question, and we have some Covers who post from Mexico who might have some insight in addition to Marc's advice. It's a bit slow around here over the weekend, so I'll bump this up on Monday morning.

Pedantic and :topic:, but "moray" is a type of eel.:eek: The kind you're referring to is spelled "more" but is a homophone for "moray."

R

rrofkar - 2009

The actual word is "mores", which means "folkways of central importance accepted without question and embodying the fundamental mortal views of a group" pronounced "mor' aze" :)

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
I have laboratories I visit in Mexico City so I am there every year.....so some background you may find useful.....the folks I deal with range from technician to CEO levels, so a wide range.....

First, take the &^#@%*^% Hollywierd stereotype and throw it out the window, it does not apply. I can state that folks in a technical arena (which will likely include machinists in a job shop) are HIGHLY professional, hard working, knowledgable, and curteous.

Their starting, ending, and lunch times tend to be a bit different than the U.S. norm, so you should adapt to their schedule.....they will adapt to you, but you get points for working with them. Secondly, learn their culture.....they will watch out for you, but enjoy learning about their VERY rich culture.

The laboratories I visit are easily among the best I work with.

Last, the old advice of "don't drink the water" is true.....use bottled water at the hotel to brush your teeth even. If you are in Mexico City, then drink your beer as a Michalata (I may have misspelled that).....that is how it is done there, and quite tasty when you get used to it.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Sorry, I just saw you will be in Monterrey.....everything except the Michalata applies though.

J

JWenmeekers

I can’t speak for the North, I’m on the Peninsula but I follow Hershal.

You will see no man with a sombrero sleeping/sitting against a cactus.
Only tourists are wearing sombreros (the big ones).
There’s no Rosita nor Maria in the cantina.

Try to speak Spanish, even if it is a few words, they will appreciate the effort.
Stay away from the little cornerfoodshops, salads, and beans... Pemex is for gas…

When you want something done your way, wrap it such that the idea is theirs.
There is little you can do if the answer is ‘No hay’.
‘Around the corner’ can be everything between 1 meter and 10 km.
In the neighborhood is everything in a range of about 10 km.
Don’t expect they will return a call, ‘I will call you’ = YOU have to call them (more than once).
An appointment time is everything between nothing before the app.time and two hours after the app.time. Expect a lot of stories explaining the why…..

Show respect and you can ask whatever you want.

They have the latest techniques in almost everything, but for some reason there’s something wrong with the use of it in the long run, still have to find out where the problem is, but basically they don’t seems to have a problem with that.... so maybe I am the problem ¿¿ :confused:

Managers don’t like to ‘be controlled’, don’t use that word.
Technicians know their job, the moment they see they can trust you and you respect them, they will accept advice.

They are Mexican, they are proud to be Mexican, it’s a great country (United States of Mexico), great culture, wonderful people, don’t try to be the smart American, it won’t work, just be a wise person, it’s their country, their home, not yours….

If you stay during weekends, visit as much places you can...ask local people to show you around.

Success.

Respectfully.

Welcome to the Cove, Tex :bigwave:
TEXASQAMAN said:
I need to outline a plan based on Mexican leadership and working social patterns. With a greater understanding of how manufacturing society morays will be different in Monterrey, Mexico, I hope to use that understanding to my advantage in this project.
I tried a search for "Mexico" and got quite a number of hits. Among them was RosieA's old thread Managing quality in a high turnover environment (in Mexico). I believe it could provide some interesting insights.

And hey: Good luck :agree:

/Claes

Top Bottom