Calibration vs. Verification - Can we calibrate dial indicators in-house?

D

dbzman

Hello everyone!

My question is about the use of verification versus calibration. Can someone calibrate dial indicators in-house under the AS9100 system without being considered a lab or having to meet any lab requirements (17025, etc)?
At this time we “Verify” the dial indicators, and if they do not meet manufacturer’s specifications, we discard them and get new ones. One of our facilities wanted to adjust/and or repair the dial making the activity calibration instead of verification.

What do others do to address this type of situation?

Thanks!

:confused:

S

Sam4Quality

Hi dbrzman:

I am not well aware of AS9100 or 17025, but if you have a mechanism to calibrate the dial indicator in-house (their brochures generally have it), I believe it is acceptable.

Well, some instruments, devices only need verification over calibration, and dial indicators are probably one of them.

Ciao. :cool:

N

noboxwine

Hello everyone!

My question is about the use of verification versus calibration. Can someone calibrate dial indicators in-house under the AS9100 system without being considered a lab or having to meet any lab requirements (17025, etc)?
At this time we “Verify” the dial indicators, and if they do not meet manufacturer’s specifications, we discard them and get new ones. One of our facilities wanted to adjust/and or repair the dial making the activity calibration instead of verification.

What do others do to address this type of situation?

Thanks!

:confused:

I don’t know AS, but for ISO/TS, you can calibrate anything you want in-house, as long as you have a measurement trail back to a NIST Standard.

Let us know and Good Luck-----:agree1:

J

Jeff Frost

As long as you meet the requirements of AS9100 Clause 7.6 and those of your customers you can do in-house calibration.

As I remember many of the large aerospace customers usually add the additional requirement that the calibration process to be based on MIL-STD-45662, Z540, ISO 10012 or ISO 17025 so you will need to spend a little time reviewing your customers purchase order to identify what is required.

Top Bottom