Nonconformances that do not require Corrective Action

Fender1

Involved In Discussions
I’m new to the world of quality, and I’m helping my employer develop system to ISO 9001:2008. The scope of our business includes weld/fab/assembly production. We are close to implementing our procedure for controlling nonconforming product. I’ve put together a simple 5-6min training PPT to present to department supervisors to help illustrate procedure and spark their participation. Our procedure includes a nonconformance report/form that will need to be completed with each nonconforming product incident. My PPT mentions this. My relate research revealed that some incidents may not or should not require corrective action; however research material didn’t offer modern examples. I’m looking for a few real life brief examples (that fit our business scope) that I may offer during above mentioned PPT. I’m hoping some of you will share some scenarios from your experience.
I appreciate your contribution.:yes:

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Nonconformance that doesn't need corrective action

I’m new to the world of quality, and I’m helping my employer develop system to 9001:2008. The scope of our business includes weld/fab/assembly production. We are close to implementing our procedure for controlling nonconforming product. I’ve put together a simple 5-6min training PPT to present to department supervisors to help illustrate procedure and spark their participation. Our procedure includes a nonconformance report/form that will need to be completed with each nonconforming product incident. My PPT mentions this. My relate research revealed that some incidents may not or should not require corrective action; however research material didn’t offer modern examples. I’m looking for a few real life brief examples (that fit our business scope) that I may offer during above mentioned PPT. I’m hoping some of you will share some scenarios from your experience.

Your company will be responsible for deciding what issues need corrective action or not. Risk analysis can help with this.

But some examples I can provide (I work for a medical plastics company):

#1. Job is rejected due to having the wrong pellet size - The operator did not review the pellet size specification on the process sheet - The operator is going through on the job training, therefore, this issue is isolated - no CA needed.

#2. 4 jobs have been rejected due to color variation - further investigation proved that Production was using a pipe-clamp on the feeder tube to hold a plastic partiton. This is causing the load cell to read incorrectly, causing inconsistent feeding. This needs a correction.

#3. Job is rejected due to being too wet. The water in the cooling bath was too cold, resulting in this issue. This is the first issue of this that we have experienced. We will issue a NCMR, and will only issue a CA if we see this issue repeated. At this time the issue is isolated.

Just a few of my own examples :)

:bigwave:

Randy

Super Moderator

I’m new to the world of quality, and I’m helping my employer develop system to 9001:2008. The scope of our business includes weld/fab/assembly production. We are close to implementing our procedure for controlling nonconforming product. I’ve put together a simple 5-6min training PPT to present to department supervisors to help illustrate procedure and spark their participation. Our procedure includes a nonconformance report/form that will need to be completed with each nonconforming product incident. My PPT mentions this. My relate research revealed that some incidents may not or should not require corrective action; however research material didn’t offer modern examples. I’m looking for a few real life brief examples (that fit our business scope) that I may offer during above mentioned PPT. I’m hoping some of you will share some scenarios from your experience.

If you are in fact implementing a valid quality management system based upon ISO 9001:2008 here's a bit of helpful advice...If you identify something as a nonconformity, you had better have some corrective action process appied to it...Or don't seek 3rd party certification because, in my parlance, "That dog don't hunt"....You'll get a bigger nonconformity

Nonconformity is "nonfulfillment of a requirement". You either do it or you don't...If you do it (meet the requirement) then all well and good....If you do not do it (meet the requirement) then you have to fix it...No if's, and's or but's

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

If you identify something as a nonconformity, you had better have some corrective action process appied to it...
ISO 9001:2008 8.5.2 c) stipulates that the organization may not have to trigger a corrective action for some nonconfomities.

For example, any manufacturing process that does not have a yield of 100% mean nonconfomities exist in the process. Many times, it is more cost effective to increase detection, sorting and correction than an attempt to corrective action.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

Every NC needs a corretion. After investigation of the root cause you may discover that your process has problems, and then you may need to apply corrective action to your process.

any manufacturing process that does not have a yield of 100% mean nonconfomities exist in the process

If the process is defined as not yelding 100 % (because it was created this way) why there would be a non-conformity here?

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator

---Quote (Originally by Sidney Vianna)---
ISO 9001:2008 8.5.2 c) stipulates that the organization may not have to trigger a corrective action for some nonconfomities.

For example, any manufacturing process that does not have a yield of 100% mean nonconfomities exist in the process. Many times, it is more cost effective to increase detection, sorting and correction than an attempt to corrective action.
---End Quote---

8.5.2c? You mean this? *c) evaluating the need for action to ensure that nonconformities do not recur*,

Maybe we have different version of ISO 9001:2008:confused:

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Sorry Randy, clicked on the wrong button and messed with your last post :-(, but I think I fixed it.

Anyway, I was going to comment this -

c) evaluating the need for action to ensure that nonconformities do not recur*,

This means you have to evaluate the need for a corrective action.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yep, evaluate the need and I agree that sometimes things are serious and some are minor and different actions could be appropriate.

A tire may not be totally flat and the car can still go down the road, but eventually it will have to have air added to it or something bigger could happen.

Sweeping stuff under a rug because they are minor or insignificant sooner or later will create a bump you'll trip over an break your neck

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

If the process is defined as not yelding 100 % (because it was created this way) why there would be a non-conformity here?
If the process led to a nonconforming product, that is a nonconformity, i.e., the out-of-spec product is a nonconformity.

AndyN

Moved On
Yep, evaluate the need and I agree that sometimes things are serious and some are minor and different actions could be appropriate.

A tire may not be totally flat and the car can still go down the road, but eventually it will have to have air added to it or something bigger could happen.

Putting more air in it is correction!

Rather than trading bizarre stories, let data speak for itself. We know that Pareto had a good handle on it...

Top Bottom