School Assignment: QS-9000 vs. ISO Standards

M

marco kerssies

first of all hi

I am new to this forum and also new at this kind of brance. I am currently doing an training period for my school which involves a assignment to look for differences between the QS 9000 and the ISO standards. I have been browsing this forum for awhile and i have visited some other websites before about this matter.

I see that the QS 9000 is going to dead in 2006. So it wouldnt be wise to do this assignment and better look for TS 16949 standards instead rite? Another question why is the QS 9000 being cancelled?

I do not want to sound stupid or something but i am just a new to this, so it all seems a little bit complicated at first maybe.

D

db

marco kerssies said:
I do not want to sound stupid or something but i am just a new to this, so it all seems a little bit complicated at first maybe.

First of all welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Don't worry about sounding stupid. At times I think this stuff is designed to make us feel stupid! The more you know about it the more it seems stupid. But that is my opinion.

The reason QS is dying is that the Big 3 (Ford, GM and Chrysler) think that it did not achieve the desired goals of better quality at a lower cost. Also, QS was based on ISO 9001:1994 which was upgraded in 2000. The QS structure did not match the new ISO 9001 structure.

You could still do the assignment, although the impending death of QS does add a twist that others before you didn't have. This could make the assignment even more interesting.

The other option is to go back to your instructor to see if you should switch from QS to TS. If you do, make sure you compare the 2nd edition of TS (ISO/TS 16949:2002). The first edition of TS was based on ISO 9001:1994 (like QS was).

Hope that helps, and let us know what happens. We like to follow things like this. :thedeal:

M

marco kerssies

Frustrating thing is he also saddled me up with other quality management things. He is being a bit to random i think. PLus i told him about the TS standards, but he wants that now as well plus he still wants the QS 9000 standards compared to the iso standards also. To make things even worse he handed over another assignment at an another company.

thought i just edited this instead of makin another post. Does anyone have a suggestion about where i can order the QS 9000 standards. He is only interested in standards of QS 9000 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laura M

You don't want to buy QS9000 - I don't think it would be of any real use to you.
It's ISO9000:1994 plus additional automotive requirements. Not sure the purpose of your assignment, but if your teacher is interested in 'The history of automotive standards" then its appropriate.

You may find QS summaries here in the files that can accomplish your goal.

You should find alot of help here, although this is a progressive sight, so many contributors may not be interested in investing time posting on the topic of QS. Technically, its not obsolete until 2006, but I don't know anyone still interested in learning about it. If they are just getting started, they'll start with TS.

Good luck. If you want to pay postage - I'll send you my old copies of the QS Assessment - which is essentially QS worded as questions. I may have a few extra copies - I'll have to check if I tossed them yet or not.

Laura

M

marco kerssies

okay thanks for the help. Well he isnt really a teacher, i have to work at a company till 30 january. I learn things about quality management, i get graded for it. If i pass i get a certain amount of points which i need to graduate.

So i have to do stuff he cant find time for and saddles me up with this kind of thing. The assignment is for a company which has severe internal problems, the owner of that company wants to expire the iso certificates and switch over to QS 9000. Well i still need some more info on the QS 9000.

But i dunno myself if its interesting enough, i mean from what i read here from the forums post by other members this company owner is being real real stupid.

Thanks again...i will check the forum again also. Well kinda been doing that more lately real informative site i have to say especially for people like me.

Oh yea abou the postage pay, i have to check out how must it cost. Then i will charge my coordinator at the company for the expenses haha.

L

Laura M

Maybe you can convince him that ISO9001:2000 has much of the "good stuff" from QS - for example the requirement for continuous improvement. It also 'forces' you to identify key processes, and that you monitor your performance on those processes. The 'new' ISO vs the old ISO sounds like a better fit, then you aren't working to the old ISO which is built into QS.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I agree with what the others posted above. What they really should be looking at is TS 16949, not a standard that is on its way out. If you really want to buy QS-9000, you can order it from the AIAG here:
http://www.aiag.org/publications/quality/dcxfordgm.asp

A comparison of QS-9000 against ISO 9001:1994 is extremely easy. In QS-9000 the ISO 9001 text is written in italics and the additional automotive requirements are written in plain text.

I'm not sure if this will be useful to you, but I'm attaching a comparison of QS-9000 to TS 16949. It sounds like his requirements are changing by the minute, so this may be what he asks for next. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Rad Smith TS - QS comparison matrix.pdf
    75.4 KB · Views: 268
M

marco kerssies

Thanks but i cant open the attachment though, must be because i am registered with basic registration or something.

Top Bottom