Datum B and C are each both vertical and horizontal - Tolerance of Position Question

J

jfbock

I feel dumb asking this as it is neophyte to most who read this.

Re: True Position

Understand a very basic true position callout and frame. A hole (lets say) is basic 1" from datum b (on plane datum A) and 1" from a perpendicular datum C. We take the offset of both measurements and calculate true position based on sq +sq etc.

But what if datum B and C are each both vertical and horizontal (with accompanying basic dimensions) from target feature? Maybe I live in simpleland but I hadn't ran into this and now I've had it twice in one week (from same vendor). It would seem to me there are two separate ways to deal with the true position. Is one right? Do I do a true position for each datum? Not sure where to go with this. Let me know if I am not explaining this well.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: True Position Question

I feel dumb asking this as it is neophyte to most who read this.

Re: True Position

Understand a very basic true position callout and frame. A hole (lets say) is basic 1" from datum b (on plane datum A) and 1" from a perpendicular datum C. We take the offset of both measurements and calculate true position based on sq +sq etc.

But what if datum B and C are each both vertical and horizontal (with accompanying basic dimensions) from target feature? Maybe I live in simpleland but I hadn't ran into this and now I've had it twice in one week (from same vendor). It would seem to me there are two separate ways to deal with the true position. Is one right? Do I do a true position for each datum? Not sure where to go with this. Let me know if I am not explaining this well.

It would help us tremendously if you could attach a (partial) drawing to your post, including the appropriate GD&T Standard (hopefully) referred to in the title block.

GD&T is a complex matter and we hate to guess. A picture is worth a thousand words. :agree1:

Stijloor.

J

jfbock

Re: True Position Question

Can't do that as it is proprietery. Maybe I can come up with a simile.

Top Bottom