Quality Metrics to use to solve Problems

D

djtodd27

I am looking for some insight to new quality metrics that our company can use to improve the quality and performance and use in solving problems. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

D

djtodd27

Re: Quality Metrics

I should tell everyone that we are a metal stamping shop. We are small (about 25 employees).

A

amit_rd

Please elaborate your need and I will try my level best to give inputs:

for example:

Do you want to establish a metrics that reflects quality management performance across the different functions of the organization or a quality metrics to reflect the product performance across the core processes etc.

D

djtodd27

I would like to do the product performance metrics. Also maybe which problems occur on which parts most often to help with reducing scrap or down time.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator

I would like to do the product performance metrics. Also maybe which problems occur on which parts most often to help with reducing scrap or down time.

As you've alluded to - scrap rates and down time rates are good places to start. First - have you defined what "scrap" is versus "output", and what "down time" versus "planned maintenance" versus "up time" is. Second, collect data for a while, and as you find an instance of scrap or down time, try to categorize what happened and why. It may take a while to develop what are good keywords for use in this what and why. Overtime, you should be able to tell if the rates are stable, or there are periodic special causes. You can then check back to your keyword tally for Pareto charting. Then as you determine whats and whys of interest, you may need further metrics to delve into those common issues.

Top Bottom