TS 16949 Specific Requirements - Where are they stated?

S

Sandy Simpson

My boss is asking me find the following information:

Where within TS16949:2009 does it state that a manufacture of automotive parts must be a Tier 1 Supplier?

Where within TS16949:2009 does it state that all vendors/suppliers must obtain TS16949:2009 certification?

Where within TS16949:2009 does it state that a customer has to ask you to be / if you are TS16949:2009 certified in order to do business with you?

Are these really requirements? :confused:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: TS specific requirements - where are they?

The requirement from the TS standard reads
7.4.1.2 Supplier quality management system development
The organization shall perform supplier quality management system development with the goal of supplier conformity with this Technical Specification. Conformity with ISO 9001:2008 is the first step in achieving this goal.

NOTE The prioritization of suppliers for development depends upon, for example, the supplier's quality performance and the importance of the product supplied.
Unless otherwise specified by the customer, suppliers to the organization shall be third party, registered to ISO 9001:2008 by an accredited third-party certification body.

R

Ralph Long

Tier 1 = direct supplier to OEM.

To my knowledge there is no statement in the standard that a supplier has to be TS certified. It would come as an OEM requirement - which answers (indirectly) question #3.

So, who is your direct customer? The OEM or a supplier? The purchasing group from your customer should have some documentation stating their requirements.

AndyN

Moved On

Where within TS16949:2009 does it state that a manufacture of automotive parts must be a Tier 1 Supplier?

Where within TS16949:2009 does it state that all vendors/suppliers must obtain TS16949:2009 certification?

Where within TS16949:2009 does it state that a customer has to ask you to be / if you are TS16949:2009 certified in order to do business with you?

The short answer is "it doesn't!"
There are plenty of tier 2 and 3 parts suppliers to the automotive industry.
All suppliers can't be ISO/TS 16949, but as part of supplier development, they should be ISO 9001 compliant. (see the section on purchasing/supplier selection and monitoring, 7.4)
A customer doesn't HAVE to ask you to be ISO/TS 16949 to do business.

BTW - do you have a copy of the TS requirements and the 'TS Rules'?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

The requirement from the TS standard reads

Let's not forget Sanctioned Interpretation # 1

http: //www. iatfglobaloversight. org /docs/SI 1 09 ISOTS16949 2009 7 4 1 2.pdf - DEAD - 404 - LINK UNLINKED

Stijloor.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sandy Simpson

We are currently ISO, TS and Nadcap certified. We only ship direct to one automotive customer, the rest go through our marketing and/or distribution centers so we are debating if retaining our TS certification is beneficial to the bottom line.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

For the question 1, if you sells direct to Automotive majors ( Ford, GM, Chrisler etc.) , the Customer will ask you to be ISO TS certified
For the question 2, this requirement does not exist, pls chech clause 7.4.1 of ISO TS. It is usually required ISO 9001, depending on the importanc eof supplied product, but if you are ISO TS certified you shall demonstrate to develop your supplier to be ISO TS compliant (not certified).
For question 3, pls refer to the response above.:bigwave:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

We are currently ISO, TS and Nadcap certified. We only ship direct to one automotive customer, the rest go through our marketing and/or distribution centers so we are debating if retaining our TS certification is beneficial to the bottom line.

I think you should think to confirm your TS certification.
It is useful to drive continuos improvement in your process and I think it will be useful in the next 4-5 year when it could be an increasing of automotive supplying request.
This is only my idea:bigwave:

S

Sandy Simpson

We actually just had our TS audit a few weeks ago and passed with flying colors.

S

scftiquality

As far as I know there is no requirement for an manufacturer of automotive parts to be a Tier One Supplier. We are not. We are a Tier Two supplier to a Tier One Supplier.

7.4.1.2 Suppliers do not have to be TS-16949 certified. They only have to be TS-16949 compliant. We do Supplier development to insure our suppliers comply with the requirements of TS-16949 but we do not require them to be TS-16949. We do require them to be ISO 9001 certified. Customers can specify what suppliers you are to use.

Again, I believe a customer would require you to be TS-16949 certified in their contract. I don't believe it is a TS-16949 requirement. TS-16949 states that you have to comply with your customer's requirements.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom