Supplier Evaluation - A Form? What shall be done to Effectively evaluate Supplier?

B

balaji_blr

Supplier evaluation shall be done by regular monitoring of the suppliers History, Quality of the product, Delivery time, Less rejects and continual co-operation. As per the ISO 9001:2000 requirements,Periodically (every six month) this can be evaluated. certain cases, its very diffcult to get this evalauted , like a case. every quarter we used to call for a suppliers meet and they dont turn up. So considering these scenario. what shall be done to effectively evaluate Supplier.
A brief information regarding this will be appreciated
Thanks in Advance

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
If you don't mind me asking, why do you have your Suppliers come on site? What is the purpose of this meeting?

For my organization, our Suppliers are evaluated on their ability to supply. When we receive shipments, Suppliers are rated on such items as:

• On-time delivery (not early, not late...but on time)
  • Product specifications met (chemical composition, size, amount, grade, etc.)
  • Paperwork all in order (correct bill of lading, certificate of analysis, etc.)
  • Attitude
  • Hygiene
  • Adherence to our on-site safety protocols
  • Adherence to our on-site environmental protocols

Those are the main areas for evalaution.

What is the location of your Suppliers? Are they close to you? While some of ours are within a 2-3 hour drive from our site, there are several that are too far away to make attending a meeting practical. Our Suppliers from China, Italy and Brasil would most certainly raise the price of their products to us if we made them come see us once or twice a year - this price raise would probably be to offset their travel costs.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I agree with Roxane. I don't see how pulling suppliers in to your facility on a "scheduled" basis would help evaluate their performance. I've been party to that scenario and, as a supplier, was well prepared with the "dog & pony" show to put our best foot forward. The only time it was beneficial to me was the first visit, where I was able to see how our product was going to be handled and used in their process (an "eye opener").

We have our "internal" measures for supplier evaluation, much like Roxane's. We also feel that going to the supplier's facility gives us a much better view of who (whom??) we're truly doing business with (not just when we need to "pound on them" and no set schedule - just an "it's about time to visit" type of approach).

Bill

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Propably Calling supplier to your side shall enable them to understand your processes and product in a better manner Yes it is not the supplier evaluation method But Yes it can be a supplier dev. method. Vendor meet is a regular feature in many companies agenda. It improves the communication also. When you go to supplier site to evaluate or audit them your mood is to audit them But when you receive at your premises You are liable to understand their problems their concern and issues in a better manner.

Any Further Idea Please

Manoj

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Manoj Mathur said:
Propably Calling supplier to your side shall enable them to understand your processes and product in a better manner Yes it is not the supplier evaluation method But Yes it can be a supplier dev. method. Vendor meet is a regular feature in many companies agenda. It improves the communication also. When you go to supplier site to evaluate or audit them your mood is to audit them But when you receive at your premises You are liable to understand their problems their concern and issues in a better manner.
Any Further Idea Please

Don't mistake me, Manoj, I think meeting with the Suppliers is a wonderful idea, but not if it is the only way that their evaluation is done (which is what I interpreted Balaji's organization to be doing). Naturally, we wish to improve relationships with our Suppliers (that whole mutually beneficial reference in the Clause), but having them come visit shouldn't be mandatory.

I realize that in this case, they are the Supplier and we are the Customer and if part of our requirements is that they attend a semi-annual meeting onsite, that's a different matter.

Top Bottom