Difference between Calibration, Testing and Inspection Laboratories?

• Thread starter Daniel Walker - 2011
  • Start date
D

Daniel Walker - 2011

I am trying to come up with an easy explanation of the differences between Calibration, Testing and Inspection labs. I know what calibration labs do, but am not too sure of the exact definition of testing or inspection.

I did stumble across this:

"Calibration labs perform tolerance testing and adjustments of measuring equipment or standards. Testing labs perform tests on certain materials to make sure they meet specifications. Inspection labs generate layouts or drawings of customer supplied products."

Is this correct? Any ideas?
Thanks for any input!

D

dcorbett

Re: Difference between Calibration, Testing and Inspection Labs?

I think the deffinition you supplied will "fit the bill". All three will probably offer a multitude of services and there will undoubtedly be some overlapping.:cool:

Z

zancky

"Calibration labs perform tolerance testing and adjustments of measuring equipment or standards. Testing labs perform tests on certain materials to make sure they meet specifications. Inspection labs generate layouts or drawings of customer supplied products."

Some ideas
Inspection lab. Some companies ask to external lab to perform visual inspection, visual sorting etc
Testing labs may be a lab that make an analysis (e.g. university laboratory) or endurance test not necessary related to a specification/requirement

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource

It is a decent working definition.....

Test labs may test materials, bio things or whatever in order to see if the item complies with some specification (e.g., ASTM E 1886 and E1996 for window impact resistance).....accreditation standard is ISO/IEC 17025:2005

Inspection organizations may be reviewing prints or looking at widgets or doing source inspections up the supply chain.....accreditation standard usually is ISO/IEC 17020.....

Hope this helps.

H

Hondo812

A testing lab would test materials/product to measure performance. In other words what is the widget supposed to do? If it's a seatbelt what load does it break at? How many uses until failure? They would measure the product performance specification.

An inspection lab will determine the thread count per inch of the seatbelt, denier of the fiber, the thickness and width of the belt, etc. They are usually inspecting to a drawing.

J

jennyhicks

It is imperitive to use a lab with a ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accreditation.

jerry bambach

Registered
The real difference is how the artifact is used if it is used for further measurement, it would require calibrations; If are just measure the product to meet speciation and not used it for further measurement, then an inspection is correct. for further information see ILAC P14 & G17

Top Bottom