Work Instruction - TS 16949 - Is work instruction for packing and delivery mandatory

S

sathis

We are a Tier 1 supplier for a car company,
As per TS 16949, Is work instruction for packing and delivery is mandatory?

:confused:

SS

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions
necessity of instructions

There is no firm requirement for a packaging or shipment instruction.

However the answer is hidden in requirement 4.2.1.d General documentation requirements.
It says : ".... shall include ......documents needed by the organization to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes"

Hope this helps,
Antoine

D

db

sathis said:
SS
7.5.1.2 states “The organization shall prepare documented work inst5ructions for all employees having responsibilities for the operation of processes that impact product quality” With that in mind does your packaging, or delivery impact product quality? If so, then documented work instructions are required. But remember, work instructions do not need to be a detailed step-by-step thing. A print, or packing list might be all that is required.

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Maybe

sathis said:

SS

Forget TS, what does your business need?

Do you have 100% on time delivery and zero problems related to packaging? If so keep doing whatever you are doing.

If you do have <significant> problems, would a description of how to pack your product be of benefit?

This is how I approach anyone who asks about TS requirements. After some discussion and looking at data we almost always find that it makes business sense for us to "do the TS requirement" because it makes us deal with problems we have.

QS and TS were built from things gone wrong at thousands of companies. I call them the biggest bargain in the world. There's millions of dollars of savings in a $35 book. Not everyone agrees with me.

Reactions: db

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Packaging WI/SOP

Well said!

Though, it is not necessary (mandatory as per standard) to have SOP or Work Instruction for packing but is advisable to have it due to following reasons;

1. Document shall be useful while doing Dock Audit / Product audit as per clause of 8.2.4.

2. Generally, a company employ low to medium skilled people in product packaging hence it is recommended to prepare such SOP / WI for packaging.

3. Product packaging job varies highly from person to person and it is different for different product. Hence for standardization, it is required to have SOP/WI.

Regards,

Manoj Mathur

D

db

Caster said:
QS and TS were built from things gone wrong at thousands of companies. I call them the biggest bargain in the world. There's millions of dollars of savings in a $35 book. Not everyone agrees with me.
I never thought of it quite that way, but there is logic and truth to it. Some of the manual is a pain in the back, but so is shovelling snow. Add me to the agree with you column.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Caster said:
Forget TS, what does your business need?

Do you have 100% on time delivery and zero problems related to packaging? If so keep doing whatever you are doing.

If you do have <significant> problems, would a description of how to pack your product be of benefit?

This is how I approach anyone who asks about TS requirements. After some discussion and looking at data we almost always find that it makes business sense for us to "do the TS requirement" because it makes us deal with problems we have.

Very well stated. That's one of the best arguments I've heard in a long while!

Top Bottom