Special or Key Characteristics Standards and Symbols

F

Fred B

Hello,
we are struggling in our organization to deploy Key Characteristics. I am wondering if there is any standard related to this topic and for symbols. I know in some industries the reverted delta within a circle is used to identify a Safety or Regulatory characteristic, but is this linked to any standard. Thanks for your help.

C

cosminadorina

Hello,
I need some help, one of our customer is requiering us to identify in the control plan special characteristics given by them. By each special characteristic they have also an inspection level required . We don't want to use their symbols and I would like to create a procedure for our company.
I have decided to clasify special characteristics in 3categories: critical, significant, major and standard characteristics.
Standard characteristics should be the less important and no special control should be required.
But I don't know what kind of controls should I define for the other 2. Should I define something standard? Or for each characteristic we should define his own control?

H

Hodgepodge

Hello,
I need some help, one of our customer is requiering us to identify in the control plan special characteristics given by them. By each special characteristic they have also an inspection level required . We don't want to use their symbols and I would like to create a procedure for our company.
I have decided to clasify special characteristics in 3categories: critical, significant, major and standard characteristics.
Standard characteristics should be the less important and no special control should be required.
But I don't know what kind of controls should I define for the other 2. Should I define something standard? Or for each characteristic we should define his own control?

Key, critical, significant, major, and standard (using some of your terms) are characteristic designators. You can control the identification of these designators any way you like. I suggest you define, as specifically as possible, the method of identifying how to use the characteristic designators. If you have design authority, define each type of characteristic designator in your engineering procedures. Otherwise define it in your production planning procedures and identify the inspection level required for each in your inspection procedures.

When referencing a critical characteristic on sketches and inspection paperwork you can use a different color, an asterisk (or 2 asterisks), a symbol, inspection level designation...whatever you want. If it is critical or key, it should stand out. Your company can decide how to ensure the users of your documents know the importance of what they are doing. Specify the nature of the characteristics described therein in the most clear and unmistakeable method you can.

Depending on your customer's requirements, you may need to use their method of identifying these characteristics to avoid confusion.

C

cosminadorina

Hi,
thx for your help.
I finaly decided to split special charactersitic in 2 categories: critical characteristic and significant characteristic.
For each one of them I choosed a symbol and I defined some criterias to classify them.
Regarding control measures I made a list with possible measures and depending on the characteristic and the input that we have we will choose one of them, we have to choose one of the controll measures.
Our customer does not want us to keep his symbols so I supose as loong as there is our symbol next to the characteristic it self and if the control action is the one required by him it shoul be ok.
I think it is better to keep it simple to be able to follow it and also be felxible for other customers.

Top Bottom