We have one of these so called "canned systems"

N

newcomer

Hello everyone

I don't know how to start and where.
I have recently been appointed Quality Manager, was sent to an internal
auditor course, and now they believe I am a Quality Manager.
We have one of these so called "canned systems" which makes it
impossible for me to find a structure in our QMS.
I am totally lost. Needless to say that there is not much commitment
from top management to Quality.
Well, so I struggle every day, not really knowing what I am supposed to do.
It is not that I do not have a clue at all, I just do not know how and where to start.
My question: is there a book on the market for someone like me, e.g. an Idiot's Guide??
I am not familiar with most of the terminology so I need a lot of
explanation.
I am interested in Quality and can see the importance of a QMS.
Is there any help out there?

newcomer

Hello newcomer, and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:
newcomer said:
Is there any help out there?
Yes, you have come to the right place: Help is at hand, and we'll do our best to help you. First of all (small comfort, I know), many of us have been in similar situations. You are not alone...

Could you provide us with a brief description of your business, the canned system and what you think about it?

/Claes

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Although it isn't a "quality" book per se, I would heartily recommend reading Tom Peters' ReImagine. It does help in the area of what one can do when they don't have traditional "power" in an organization.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Where to Get Started

Welcome to the Cove! I was in the same situation 9 years ago, and I didn't get sent to the internal auditing class right away.

We do need to know more about your business and the basic "canned" system that you have, in order to help you get started.

My first recommendation is to get a copy of your company's quality management systems manual and read it over. Then meet with the senior management and find out what they know about the quality system. You need to know how big the mountain is -- the one you are about to climb up so you can plant the "quality success" flag at the top!

Then tell us more about your company, and we can provide other insights. How many employees at your company? How many basic processes do you have? What are your biggest challenges with workers or with management?

--Jodi

B

Bill Pflanz

Hi Newcomer,

I have also been where you are so you have come to the right place for help. You may want to do a search of the Cove for information on quality manuals which will give you a start. Also if your customers or suppliers have quality manuals and other documents that they will show you then that will give you an idea of how others have developed their QMS.

You also did not say what are the expectations for the quality system including a desire for ISO certifications. As you tell us more about your company, industry and your current knowledge of quality, we can provide more guidance. A good place to start is your local library since they may have some good reference books on quality.

It will be an interesting challenge for you that can provide great reward for you and your company so don't get discouraged.

Bill Pflanz

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Welcome Newcomer,

You are in good hands with the folks here. Let me offer a few suggestions of my own. If you are in an area where you can get to some seminars about ISO, quality arena, whatever, go. It takes more than one class to really grasp the meaning of the standards if you are just getting started. Get some books, the suggestions are already rolling in, subscribe to some quality related mags..use the search function.

Do not panic. set small goals and be very detailed in your plan of attack. Take a motivational course that leans heavily on goal-setting, or take the Franklin planner course. (the actual how-to use the planner course) If you liked that one, take the 7 habits course. But, most of all you need to understand that if you set your mind to it and plan, you can do it.

I

IMC

Check the ASQ bookstore at www.asq.org. Also, you may want to buy the CQM "Certified Quality Manager" Handbook from the Indiana Quality Council (USA). Sorry, I do not know if you have a similar institution in your country. The handbook will layout very easily for you what is the scope of a Quality Manager position and responsibilities and some ideas on how to make things to happen. Then, you will have to deal with your top management. I have been in similar situations where I felt like the "ham and cheese of the sandwhich", between production daily numbers and customer requirements pressures. If there is no top management commitment, then it is very difficult to make any significant transformation by yourself, unless you can put in their language ($$$) a good quality cost presentation for them to realize that by improving quality you can improve productivity and the overall company performance.
Good Luck.

R

Roland Kelly

Hello and Welcome to the Cove,

I would recommend purchasing a copy of
• ISO 9000 Quality Systems Handbook, FOURTH Edition
David Hoyle
ISBN 0750644516
Approx $35.00 USA

OR

• Understanding and Implementing ISO 9001:2000, SECOND Edition
David Goetsch, Stanley Davis
ISBN 013041106X
Approx $35.00 USA

Read either one of these and you will be in much better position to discuss the whole topic.

Regards,
Roland Kelly
Good Luck :D

IATCA Lead Auditor ISO 9001:2000 , AS9100 AA ISO/TS 16949 Approved

L

Laurie Anderson

Hi There newcomer

What are you going to do when you have been around for a while, the name I mean ? 'Cause I am sure you will be around for awhile.

Anyway Welcome. You have hit the jackpot by lobbing here.

I am sure you will get all the help you need, then some.

Greg B. is a person you surely will come across here. He is somewhat a prolific contributer and can be very helpful. I mention him as he is from Rocky.

As you may have already noticed there is help at hand so let everyone know a little more regarding type of business you are in and I am sure there are those in a similar or same business willing to lend a hand.

Welcome again and good luck in your new role.

Laurie

J

JoHannah

Hi.
I'm a new comer, too. Shortly after I was told two years ago in very uncertain terms that I was supposed to get the lab "to be 17025," I discovered that a "canned" chemical hygiene plan had been purchased a few years earlier, before I got there. Nobody uses it or ever has. 99% of staff members don't even know it exists. And it really doesn't exist--because nobody ever filled in the blanks: "Chemical waste shall be disposed of. Gloves shall be worn." It's an unread book on a shelf.

WHO shall dispose of it wearing what kind of gloves? My experience tells me that "canned" products fail when the organizations that use them haven't defined responsibilities clearly. And that's the real battle: Defining who's responsible for what. At least where I work, that's where the bottleneck seems to be. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom